we have an existing e-commerce web site built on an ASP shopping cart platform.
We wish to add a "product reviews/survey" feature to each of our products, similar to amazon.com:
1) Products that can be reviewed should be dynamic. THe reason we cant purchase an off the shelf review script that is already available is because we need to tightly integrate this feature with our existing web site. We currently have over 1000 products, we dont want to have to manually "add an item code" to the review database each time a new item is added. We need the review item code database to be able to be imported for the first use (and subsequent uses if wanted), and thereafter, the system should pick up new item codes automatically from the query string. For example the item code TH42PWD7Uy is already in the product database. We add a new item code TH42PWD8UY that was never defined/imported, a user on our website should be able to click on "write a review" and it automatically creates a new unique item index/key used to write reviews on that product. IE. http://www.website.com/write-review.asp?itemcode=TH42PWD8UY&categorycode=PLASMATVS.
2) We need all the basic and advanced features you see featured @ amazon.com and similar sites plus a few additional specific features:
a) Overall 5 Star rating scale (1, 1/2, 2, 1/2, 3, 3/12, 4, 4 1/2) star graphics & text
b) # of reviews posted total
c) review title/subject
d) summary of text review (defined # of words/characters)
e) detailed review display
c) upload a picture/display a picture
e) Capability to ask the user multiple choice questions about a product and display their answers: IE. What would you rate the picture quality: (a) poor (b) fair (c) good (d) great (e) excellent. With the questions being definable as well as the choices. We can implement true/false questions the same way: WOuld you prchase this product again: (a) yes (b) no
f) Capability to ask the user to submit review text/ or answer a single question. IE. Please explain your experience with the remote control: .
g) Capability to ask the user to submit a star rating 1,1.5 - 5 regarding a specific question: IE. What do you rate the video quality of this unit: 4 stars / What do you rate the audio quality of this unit: 3 stars.
The summary of the data should allow us to provide a review that looks like this:
Panasonic TH42PWD7UY Reviews:
Overall Star Rating: 4 stars [4 star graphic] based on  customer reviews.
[This product is great!] - written by: [donalt54]
Overall Review: [i purchased this product a few days ago set it up and its awesome.]
Video Star Rating: 4 stars
Video comments: [the video quality rocks!]
Audio Star Rating: 3 stars
Audio Comments: [the audio quality could be better, but 10 watts aint bad]
Would you still recommend this product to others: [Yes]
Picture of the product installed in my home: [view the picture]
Features E, F, & G need to be able to be defined by product category or product, and overwritten. Meaning, for Plasma TVs we need to have one set of questions, for LCD TVs another. We also may want to create a specific survey for an invidual product to gather specifics regardint it. These questions / answers should all be definable in the back end administration. The script will know the category because it is also provided via import and querystring. We also need to make these questions defined as either public or internal. Public question answer data will be displayed on the website, internal will not be displayed, just stored for our use.
3) Administration Interface - We need a simple back end program that will show the pending reviews waiting to be approved once they have been submitted. The screen should allow us to mass approve/decline and preview the written pending survey data easily. An administrator should be emailed every time a new survey/review it written. The review writer should receive confirmation email after his/her review has been posted(approved) or deleted.
- There needs to be an interface to control the existing product reviews that exist (already posted) so that we can modify / delete the already posted/saved review(s).
- There should be a security feature of some kind to prevent the system from going nuts if 10000 item codes are accidentally added to the database from a spider/SQL injector accessing the querystring/etc variables.
- Our website already controls login information for customers, so we need to be able to pass customer details to the script such as email address, name, customer id #, etc. so that it does not need to maintain a separate login/authentication database. A customer should only be able to write one review per product per customer id.
- The design of the pages that are shown online to the public (the page that generates the review/survey for each product, product rview summary page, product review summary all listings, product review specific detail) should be easily modified and have different templates applied (I will be using this script on more than one website transparently), need to have a diffent look and feel for each site, perhaps by appending another querystring &templateid=
4) Integration Considerations - besides making sure the system can automatically review item codes that are not yet defined we need to make sure this can interface with my existing site. On each search / catalog listing page (page that shows multiple products in a list) I want to make a query to display the star rating / rating details for that item in summary form (just the average star ranking). On each item detail-description page I want to display the complete results for the reviews of the selected item including star data, all user reviews with summary, click to view review detail. My current site uses a COM object & ASP to loop through the data. We can accomplish this through an ASP script or by periodically writing back the star rating for that product to my existing database when I run a script. For example, 10 users write reviews for product TH42PWD7UY that calculates an average review score of 4.5. When this script is ran it goes through all the products and writes back to our items code database to a field the "current review rank" in numerical form. Then on the website when showing summary details (just the star ranking) on multiple product listing pages we can just query our existing database for the review rank, and use if/and/or conditions to display the appropriate graphic and form the link to the external review script url.
We are going to have links on our website on each product "write a review". We will also be emailng our customers who purchase the product a link to review the product on our site after they have received it so there shouldnt be too many dependencies on review writing sytax. We need to just access a page link write_review.asp?itemcode=TH4PWD7UYcategorycode=PLASMATVS&cusomerid=1012424. We can program our existing COM object to grab the customer id data from our database and pass this info to the script so that the user doesnt have to rekey any of their data except for the "online display name" / nick name - the name they will be identified as on the site.
My priority on this project is getting it completed QUICK and inexpensive. I am not looking for a long development petiod so devs with full or partical source code already coded for this are ideal.
Bidders with standard SPAM copy/paste responses will most likely not be considered, please show me you care when offering your bid/message/pmb with originality and not copy/pasting of your pre-written one liner.
Additional Project Description:
09/02/2005 at 20:58 CLT
PHP is also ok as long as we can get it to integrate with my exising asp site without a problem