Reflect on nursing learning experiences and write a learning biography. As qualified nurses we know that critically reflecting on practice is essential for ongoing learning and self-development. Reflection is an active process that allows us to explore our experiences and to use those experiences for purposeful learning. Your biography may include your learning experiences during nursing education, workplace learning and/or your ongoing professional development. Your essay should address your learning experiences using and applying theories of adult learning. This learning biography asks you to reflect on and critically analyse your individual learning experience with the aim of gaining insight into how adults learn, what they learn and what motivates them to learn. The emphasis in the biography should be on critically reflecting on the learning experiences, using contemporary literature, rather than just presenting a chronology of events. Areas for reflection: What type of teaching and learning activities do you prefer and why? What motivates you to learn? How has your previous learning experience impacted on your current learning in this course? How has your learning experience impacted on how you teach in the practice environment?
• Learning biography is clearly and comprehensively presented. Critical analysis and reflection of the learning experience is presented and supported by an extensive range of relevant literature.
• Outstanding use of an extensive range of relevant and recent literature. Discussion and critique of adult learning is detailed and has depth.
• Very clear and logical links between relevant adult learning theory and the individual lifelong learning journey are provided. Outstanding use of an extensive range of recent and relevant literature.
• The essay presents a logical sequence and coherent flow. The writing style demonstrates use of sophisticated vocabulary and accurate grammar and spelling.
• At least 15 or more references & references must be within the past 5 years: 2008-2013. (APA style referencing)
- Must use journals of nursing education mainly, can use a few nursing textbook.
- Use journals from big schools or organizations in big countries like US, Australia, Canada, etc
- It is NOT recommended to use journals from small countries like Taiwan, Malaysia etc.
Stages of the biography:
1. Student nurse
2. Registered nurse, senior 5-7 years of seniority, mentor to teach newbies
3. Registered nurse studying master degree in nursing (clinical leadership), part-time and remote course
Suggested adult learning theories:
For Stages of nursing development:
For Student nurse:
Behavioral theory: Operant conditioning
Social learning theories: Observational learning
For whole journey of nursing career:
Mezirow 2000 - 3 stages of reflection
For post-registration and Adult learning in studying master level:
Andragogy (Knowles 1984)
Subsumption theory (1968)
Abraham Maslow 1970 (Internal motivation)
You are required not only to mention career events but also state and apply adult learning theories with critical analysis and explanation.
Your essay is not accepted if only copy the entire learning theory out onto the essay. Analyze the events of career and apply learning theory to show your understanding.
Importantly, showing differences between pre and post registration and adult learning in master level study is a MUST.