I own a website called www.algarveauctions.com and it has been live for 18 months. It is very much like Ebay and offers classified and auction format.
It is very busy, and I have 20,000 twitter followers, 12,000 facebook fans & likes and 1200 linkedin connections.
I bought it from a company called PHP probid and it is now hosted at Unixy.net. It was an off the shelf site and I havent changed anything.. it works well but I want to improve it.
The website is running well and has no downtime but I need some issues sorted and have no software experience. I also have no one managing the back office in terms of seo work etc. I have 1300 subscribers and 60 business sponsors who advertise on the site. The site is free for everyone and all income comes from sponsors banners.
I have learned what the issues were in the first 18 month and now want to out them right.
I have never touched anything in Cpanel or accessed ftp because I haven't had to and wouldn't know what to do. My admin area is great and I can do anything I need to through it.
I do not know whether it is best to start again with a new site or change the existing one.. need advice on this.
These are my ideas...
The site is Algarve Auctions & Classifieds but 99% of listings are Classifieds. I am thinking I might get rid of the auctions and go to Algarve Classifieds.
I also own www.algarveclassifieds.com and would like to transfer to that domain name without harming my Google rankings? Is this possible and how difficult is it. Should I leave it as it is and just forward www.algarveclassifieds.com
If I could start again I would have gone with Algarve Classifieds and set up a purely classified site. Need advice on what to do.
1. I would like the home page to be redesigned. I want to make it simple to find categories and to list items.
2. The site is simple but not simple enough, I want to strip it back and make it easy to list items. I definitely need a picture uploader that compresses pictures as that has been a huge problem.
3.. I want to remove all the clutter and options in the site that the users never use. (custom start times- private auctions etc)
3. I want it to be optimised better for SEO. I was PR1 until the last Google update and my rank is sliding and don't know why? Traffic is not down that much.
4. I would like an App designed.
5. If possible I would like users to be able to easily add items to the site using a smart phone.
6. I want more integration between my Facebook/Twitter/Linkedin so people can share new listings easily.
7. Not vital but if anyone knows how to add a Portuguese language option that would be good too.
In short I want people to find the site, navigate it quickly, post items quickly and share quickly.
Maybe a new site is the way forward? Maybe it is not necessary to go that far? I need guidance.
No idea what this will cost or what is involved.
Please get back to me if you have any questions. Brian.