Need some work done? Post a Project Today
What is this?
We will rebuild from zero a website that I have: http://onlinedegreespy.com. At the moment I am not happy with the way this website works so we’ll do a new and better one from scratch, including taking new data.
This is a site that let you find programs from various educational institutions and facilitate visitors decision in choosing future education.
This site will basically be an aggregator, taking data from various sources like Wikipedia, Yahoo Boss API, and another website.
The site structure and functionality will replicate most of http://www.gradschool.com and http://onlinedegreespy.com
What I need you to do:
Well, building a FAST functional web site.
For this you will have to scrape data from a website in the most efficient way, put this data together in the database, scrape again some more data from Wikipedia, add some more data from Yahoo Boss (Yahoo Boss API let you use Yahoo search results) pack all this and make it available on the site.
What data do we need for the site?
First of all we need a list of studying domains and subdomains. Then we need a list of studying levels (master, doctorate and so on) and format (online and campus).
Then we need a long list of schools and the programs they offer. You will take all this from a site that I will indicate. For this you will have to take a very close look to the this site and understand the most efficient way to crawl all we need.
After we have all this in our database we will add some more: Wikipedia data for each school and Yahoo Boss links for each program.
The data base will have to be built in such a way to make the site very fast. Programs on site must be selected by:
3. level (bachelor, master, doctorate, certificate)
4. format (campus or online learning)
6. state (for USA only)
What is absolutely necessary:
1. SPEED! The site has to be fast. Pages should load in a maximum 0.7 sec. Lower is better.
2. Framework. It has to be built on a framework. I would prefer CakePHP. If you feel necessary you can propose different solution.
3. Number of queries on page should be kept at minimum. No more than 10. Lower is better.
4. Comment the code! Explain what you do by using comments in the code.
5. Page speed optimization. I need a score over 90 with Google Page Speed.
6. CACHE o lot
7. Follow http://stevesouders.com/hpws/rules.php
8. Ask me questions whenever is something unclear.
9. Skype meetings.
I will give you more info in the next step of this process.
I want to split this project in 2:
1. Taking program and school data from the site that I will indicate. Taking Wikipedia data for schools. Building the DataBase
2. Front end
If you feel this is a job for you, please bid!
to give me links to relevant previous projects that you had.
Please insert “I am human” at the beginning of your message. There’s a rumor that some developers bid without reading the requirements at all!