We need a fairly simple web application written in Python/Django. I am a software engineer, so you will never have to deal with vague instructions or impossible requests. In exchange, we expect high quality work. I will be taking over future development (though if the project runs smoothly, we will have additional development needs).
This application is PARTLY COMPLETE and we need a developer to take over development.
Our product: A basic ordering system. Users must be able to select and purchase items from their mobile phones. Transactions will be handled through a third party credit card payment gateway.
* Completion of our Django/mysql application. The UI is about 75% dropped in. There is one moderately complex "ordering" page remaining. Most of the rest of the pages are standard functionality handled by readily-available apps (eg reset password, send confirmation email, etc).
* Small amount of customization of the admin app - we will need to populate the database with new Users, new Inventory, and manage the content easily. This will be used internally, so appearance is not much of a concern here.
* Keep front end xhtml-compliant and viewable on major mobile browsers (we'll provide the front end HTML for you to work with).
* Test suites - we have many, but we need more.
* Ability to interface with third party libraries including:
- credit card payment gateway (eg paypal)
- a geolocation service (to look up addresses). We have evaluated options and have chosen ones that will work for us, so no need to do this research
* Ability to create purchasing system that handles errors gracefully.
* SOAP / REST web service: this service will do extremely basic CRUD operations on Orders. I expect this will include only 3 operations:(1) authenticate, (2) query orders, (3) record order complete.
* SMS sending: the project requires integration with a service for sending text messages. This is possible using standard SMTP at first, though we may want to integrate with a third party library later. I can help choose the service or you can do it yourself.
* Adequate documentation, basic logging, etc
* (desired): Small linux sysadmin piece: ability to deploy in a production environment (probably Amazon EC2). Ability to write a deploy script to automate this is a big plus.
We will provide:
* a detailed technical design document and wireframes.
* Cut up HTML mockups and the existing Django app
* Detailed database design (though Django does most of this for you, so you can ignore it if you wish).
* Highly competent support. We promise to get back to you immediately when you have questions.
* A Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) that you must agree to before starting work.
* Experience with full stack of web development (database, back-end, front-end).
* Can write clean code and has strong design skills.
* (preferred but not required) Basic Linux sysadmin experience to help us get set up on Amazon EC2, enable SSL, and write a deploy script.
If you are interested, please provide:
* Number of years of experience writing MVC-based web applications (and # years with python/django).
* Number of Django projects you have completed, and a link to examples.
* Any questions you have. We want you to have all the information you need in order to place a bid.
The right person for this job will be detail oriented and thorough. To that end, please include the words "bloodless revolution" in your response to indicate that you have read this post in full. If you do not include these words, I will not respond. When responding, please provide answers to the following, in addition to the questions requested above:
* Can you do the small system admin piece described in this post as well?
* Can you develop the app using memcached in conjunction with the Django ORM (as described above)?
* Do you have a full time job or other commitments? How many hours per week can you dedicate to this project?