You have chosen to sponsor your bid up to a maximum amount of .
I have a 25GB database at GoGrid on MS SQL Server 2008 Std Edition. I want to move it to Rackspace. Creating a back and restore of the database is easy, but it takes almost 24 hours to send it from the GoGrid Datacenter to Rackspace over the internet. I need to ensure the system is not down for that much time. So, I am thinking I should do the following:
1. Backup the GoGrid Database
2. Send it to Rackspace over the internet (takes 24 hours)
3. Restore it on the new Rackspace server'
4. Test to make sure it works ok.
5. Stop the GoGrid Server and put up a maintenance notice
6. Do some sort of differential backup and send that to Rackspace (presumably it would take a small amount of time to transfer a differential copy of the DB)
7. Restore the differential on Rackspace, test.
8. Redirect traffic to the new system.
I'm clear on steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8. What I'm not clear on is the best method to move the differential data over to the new SQL server and restore it over there. Only data would be changing. Stored procedures and users I will take care of in step 3.
What's the best way to move the differential data? What steps would be involved? Is there a better way overall than this? Those are the questions I need answered as the deliverable of this project.