You have chosen to sponsor your bid up to a maximum amount of .
1 The Scenario — San Serif Metro System
On the San Serif Metro System, each train has two sliding doors—one on each side. When
a train stops in a station, the driver presses the ReleaseDoors button. Provided the brake
is applied and the train is stationary, this enables the buttons beside the door which is
next to the platform (there is a sensor which informs the system of this). When enabled,
pressing the DoorOpen button opens the relevant door.
When the driver is ready to start, he presses another button—the ReadyToStart button.
This causes a buzzer to sound, followed by a warning message “Stand clear of the doors,
please”. The door is then closed after 5 seconds.
Note that the brake cannot be released until the door has actually closed, and is detected
to be closed by a sensor. A schematic diagram of the system is shown in figure 1.
FIGURE 1 CANNOT BE DISPLAYED
You are required to produce a design for this system using the VisualState CASE tool. In
particular you should follow the six-step design approach, and should clearly describe how this was done.
You should hand in:
• A report, produced by VisualState, giving full information on the system. (20%)
• The results from verification of the system. You should state which verification mode
you chose and your reasons for choosing it. (10%)
• A detailed description of the approach you took to designing the system, with particular
You are required to produce a design for this system using the UPPAAL modelling
language. Decompose the system into two or more processes which communicate only via
message channels. Justify your system decomposition. Identify properties which should
hold in your model. State the properties clearly in English and write them formally in
Uppaal’s specification language. Verify the properties using the Uppaal verifier.
You should hand in:
• A complete listing of your model including all templates and declarations. (20%)
• A discussion of the design of the model. In particular, you should address the system
decomposition and communcation between components. (10%)
• A statement of the specification properties that you verified and the results of the
verification using Uppaal. You should justify your choice of properties and discuss
the conclusions that can be drawn from the results of the verification. (10%)
• A discussion of any professional standards that may be relevant for the developer
of this system. Give references to appropriate standards and, for at least one of
them, explain how it might influence the development process at the specification
and design stage. (10%)
• A comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of Uppaal with PROMELA/SPIN for
use in the development of a system of this kind. (10%)
***I WILL ADD THE FULL DOCUMENT WITH AGREED FREELANCER DUE TO CONFIDENTIAL ISSUES