I need a beautiful, edgy, cool and well designed personal wordpress website. It needs to be highly visually appealing. The content is very simple, consisting of summaries of articles and speaking appearances. But the primary audience are people very familiar with cutting edge design from the best agencies and design houses, so it needs to hold its own without trying too hard. Applying existing templates is fine -- we just need to pick the right one and make the right tweaks.
I have a half-finished one at www.jslez.org, and an older version at www.jamesslezak.com so you can see the kind of content. It's in Wordpress and I'd like to keep it in Wordpress so I can update it easily by adding new entries, which will either be in the categories of (a) speaking, or (b) writing. We may possibly add one or two more categories (e.g. photos and Vine videos).
The steps I'd propose are:
1. Identifying a set of templates for me to review that are compatible with the kind of content and simple structure of the site, then me choosing one.
2. If the template makes use of full-bleed photography or other graphic elements, sourcing a set of graphic assets to use, e.g. from compfight.com
3. Doing a quick mock-up to see how it all hangs together, and potentially re-iterating once or twice if we need to do that
4. Installing it at my old URL (jamesslezak.com) to test and refine it, make any necessary tweaks, and include all existing content.
5. Once it looks good, putting in on the new URL (jslez.org).
6. Being available to make sure that I know how to add and change things!
The aesthetic judgment and design sensibility will be really important so it will be really valuable for me to see some examples of existing pages that you've designed … and potentially even just ones you think are cool. It needs to appeal to people living in the vibrant areas of major US, Australian and Western European capital cities.