Book Cover Design
- Status: Closed
- Prize: $30
- Entries Received: 6
- Winner: askcdesign
I need fine-tuning of a book cover that I have created, in order to bring it to top quality level. I have created a draft of the book-cover. PLEASE NOTE: THE WORK NEEDED IS SIMPLY TO PERFECT THE DRAFT!!! DO NOT SUBMIT DESIGNS THAT ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE DRAFT, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW CAREFULLY. ALL THAT IS NEEDED IS FINE-TUING OF (1) THE IMAGES, and (2) IMPROVED BACKGROUND TEXTURE/DESIGN. I provided a rough draft, I want it 'professionalized'. I provide the INDD file, and the source image files. I think it is better to do the image tweaking work in Photoshop, and then the image created will be used in the INDD as the background image, text remains in the INDD.
I have created a book cover for a spiritual book, a guide to happiness and how to develop inner peace, especially in our hectic world today. It is a translation of a well known book, the [url removed, login to view] of the dimensions, proportions, text and text formatting are as I want them; PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE THESE. The front cover is made of a city image (top half), blue background with gradient (bottom half), and lotus (middle on top of both). The proportion and location of these three elements are as I want them, GENERALLY SUGGEST NOT TO CHANGE THEM.
THE DESIGN SHOULD ADDRESS THE FOLLOWING ISSUES:
1. Lotus should be separated from background properly (I did this amateurishly; Please also provide the separated lotus as an image)
2. Clean lotus logo: remove white outside black lines, replace black with transparent.
3. Front cover: City image: add feather gradient to transparency (a) on left side of the image, where it borders the spine of the cover, and (b) on bottom, where it merges into the blue background of the bottom half of the front cover. I like the proportions between the three images (lotus, city, and bottom half solid blue background) exactly as they are.
4. City image: colors must be toned down, so that they are not that bright, so that they do not compete with the lotus etc. I did this with my limited tools, pls improve.
5. The bottom part of the front cover, and the spine and back cover: PLEASE CREATE GENTLE TEXTURE, AS YOU SEE FIT, so that the back and spine and the bottom half of front, merge nicely with the city image of the top half of the front. Specifically, note that there are currently two 'triangles' at top-left and bottom-left corners of front cover - this is not good, should better merge with the spine and back cover. The color tone should generally be dark blue, to suite the background image of the city night sky. You are welcome to try to create a composition that works best.
6. For the bottom half of the front - I used a radial gradient, so as to emphasize the lotus 'radiating'. I think it is a good approach, but again, I did a rough draft and am sure it can be done better. Another option: you can try to use the gradient of the colors of the night, with the lighter-brighter blue in the middle, in the bottom half background.
7. Another option: using water for the bottom half. I tried both 'flat' water with very gentle ripples, and dramatic ripples. It did't seem to me to be working, but I attach the two water and ripple images - welcome to try with them or other/similar images. If there is a great composition that requires an image purchased, this is possible. If using an image, make sure: the overall composition MUST BE VERY QUIET, colors must match the night sky, so that image doesn't come off as 'noisy'.
If you have any suggestions re composition, proportions, fonts, etc (the things that I mentioned above that I ask not to be touched) - that is fine: please provide a version which uses the CURRENT proportions, fonts etc, and then IN ADDITION, you may add a variant that changes these, and which you think may be better.
A design that I find suitable, I may require to work with you to fine tune it as needed, to get it to perfection. Design submitted will include the photoshop and INDD files, fully editable.