NASA Challenge: Design a Logo for NASA Evolutionary Xenon Thrust – Commercial (NEXT-C) Project
- Status: Closed
- Prize: $150
- Entries Received: 138
- Winner: oldestsebi
The NASA Evolutionary Xenon Thrust – Commercial (NEXT-C) is the next generation of NASA ion thrusters. An ion thruster produces small levels of thrust relative to chemical thrusters, but does so at higher specific impulse (or higher exhaust velocities), which means that an ion thruster has a fuel efficiency of 10-12 times greater than a chemical thruster. The higher the rocket's specific impulse (fuel efficiency), the farther the spacecraft can go with a given amount of fuel. Given that an ion thruster produces small levels of thrust relative to chemical thrusters, it needs to operate in excess of 10,000 hours to slowly accelerate the spacecraft to speeds necessary to reach the asteroid belt or beyond.
The NEXT-C project is a combined effort by NASA’s Glenn Research Center (GRC), Aerojet Rocketdyne (AR) and ZIN Technologies (ZIN). The most likely first user of the NEXT-C thruster will be a NASA Planetary Science mission.
The goal of this challenge is to develop a project logo. The logo will used in multiple ways in the project. It will be part of the all presentation materials developed by the project as a logo at the in the top corner. It will be used as a logo on team items (shirts, mugs, etc.). It may also be used in materials developed for education and public outreach. Examples of NASA mission/project logos/patches, can be found in abundance on the internet.
• Both a color version and black/white version are required
• Source File Requirements: All original vector source files of the submitted design. Files should be created in Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape and saved as layered AI or EPS files. Note that PSDs saved as EPS files are not true vector / scalable files and will not be accepted.
• All fonts (and operating systems) must be listed in a text file within your Submission Zip file. Include the name of the font and a link to where it can be downloaded/purchased. DO NOT include any font files in your submission or source files.
• All text in the logo should be converted to outlines.
• Submission should also include 1024x1024 version of the logo in jpeg or png (on both a black background and a white background).
• The NASA insignia or other NASA logos cannot be used as any part of your submission.
• Color pallet is open, but there is a preference towards blues that are similar to the color of the NEXT ion thruster ion stream (images can be found online)
• Please avoid gradients or other special effects as they are difficult to reproduce across all media.
Stock Photography Requirements
• Stock photography is not allowed in this contest. All submitted elements must be designed solely by you.
• Requirements: Does your logo meet the requirements as stated within the challenge?
• Quality: Does your logo look fresh, professional, and clean
• Concept: Does your logo capture the NEXT-C Project
Please note that NASA employees are note eligible for competing in this contest.
“Oldestsebi did an outstanding job of creating a logo for use with our NASA NEXT-C Project. This was a contest and oldestsebi\'s design was selected from 166 entries.”
nasacoeci, United States.