NASA Contest: Design the Navigation Doppler Lidar (NDL) Graphic
- Status: Pending
- Prize: $250
- Entries Received: 215
- Winner: TheOlehKoval
The goal of this challenge is to develop a graphic to represent a critical landing technology being developed at NASA: navigation Doppler lidar (NDL). NDL is used to determine precise vehicle velocity and position. The graphic should include the Earth, Moon, and Mars as part of the graphic and NDL’s use of three laser beams to determine the landing craft’s position and velocity. The graphic will be used in multiple ways at NASA. A small version of the graphic may be used in the top corner of documents, a larger version could be used on the title page of presentation materials, or the graphic may be used on other products developed by the NASA team.
The new NDL unit, being developed at NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia, is comprised of a small electronics box connected by fiberoptic cables to three lenses that transmit laser beams to an anticipated distance greater than 4 miles on the Moon and Mars. Those beams reflect off the ground to help the sensor determine its speed, direction and altitude. NDL provides ultra-precise measurements that identify exactly how high a human or robotic lander is and how fast it is traveling.
More information on this project can be found here: [login to view URL]
• Would like to have the Earth, Moon and Mars as part of the graphic
• NDL, mounted to landing craft, uses three laser beams to determine the craft’s position and velocity – graphic needs to depict the three beams somehow
• Graphic should include text: Navigation Doppler Lidar
• Both a color version and black/white version are required.
• Source File Requirements: All original vector source files of the submitted design. Files should be created in Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape and saved as layered AI or EPS files. Note that PSDs saved as EPS files are not true vector / scalable files and will not be accepted.
• All non-standard Windows/Apple fonts must be listed in a text file within your Submission Zip file. Include the name of the font and a link to where it can be downloaded/purchased. DO NOT include any font files in your submission or source files.
• All text in the graphic should be converted to outlines.
• Preview Image Requirements: Please create your graphic preview image as one (1) 1024x1024 JPG or PNG file in RGB color mode at 72dpi. Show your graphic on BOTH a black and white background.
• The NASA insignia or other NASA logos or NASA cannot be used as any part of the submission.
• Color pallet is open, but limited to 6 colors.
• Please avoid gradients or other special effects as they are difficult to reproduce across all media.
Stock Photography Requirements:
• Stock photography is not allowed in this contest. All submitted elements must be designed solely by you.
• Requirements: Does your submission meet the requirements as stated within the challenge?
• Quality: Does your submission look fresh, professional, and clean?
• Concept: Does your submission represent what the project stands for?
Please note that NASA employees/contractors are not eligible for competing in this contest.
If you are interested in staying informed about other NASA challenge you can sign up for updates about NASA crowdsourcing and challenge at [login to view URL] or check out the NASA Solve Website at [login to view URL]