Design Joint System for tubular steel structure
- Status: Closed
- Prize: $1500
- Entries Received: 1
- Winner: ParalelogramoDI
To develop a joint system for the tubular steel structure of an already designed family of modular, reconfigurable and multi-functional furniture (see attached presentation).
We require either one joining element or a set of joining elements that will allow the tubular steel parts of each of our furniture types to be easily unassembled and reassembled in different configurations (see attached presentation).
1. The final design of a joining element or family of joining elements for the before mentioned furniture types.
2. The joining element should allow the furniture tubular steel structure to be quickly and easily unassembled and reassembled without the use of any highly specialized tools or highly qualified personnel. The furniture types are intended for retail use and will be located on the sales floor of a department store. The unassembly and reassembly of the furniture will be performed by a salesperson with limited knowledge of conventional tools.
3. The joining element should consider that the furniture structure is made of tubular (hollowed) steel elements with a square section of 2 inches.
4. The joining element must allow for 100% stable furniture. The joining element must secure the furniture tubular steel elements firmly and securely.
5. While in its place, the joining element must allow no movement in any direction of the adjacent tubular steel elements.
6. The joining element must adapt to Mexican commercial tubular steel sections, dimensions and calibres (thicknesses).
7. The caliber (thickness) of the tubular steel square sections will be defined after the joint system solution.
1. Line drawings in .dwg format and rendered 3D views in .pdf format of the proposed joining element (or elements). The drawings and rendered 3D views must clearly explain how the joint element performs according to each and every one of the before mentioned Requirements.
2. The winner will be required to produce a physical prototype of the joint element made in the proposed material and 1:1 scale. The physical prototype must be delivered in Mexico City.
1. The proposed joining element should not be welded to the furniture tubular steel structure.
Top entries from this contest