- Status: Closed
- Prize: €989
- Entries Received: 1008
- Winner: furkanerten
FOOD FOREST PROJECT TENERIFE
1. PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Formerly, large areas of the world were covered by incredibly rich and diverse Primeval Forests. However, over the centuries our need for food led us to clear and replace more and more forests by farmland and pasture areas.
Missing the Forest´s roots and shadow, the soil cannot not hold the rainfalls of winter nor withstand summer´s heat. Water levels are dropping, the soil is eroding and fertile land is turning into desert. Now large areas are sanded and the soil is salinized, producing poor and poorer harvests. At the same time, the destruction of forests and intensive agriculture have strongly contributed to climate change. The annual rainfalls fail to appear and droughts last for years. While communities’ base of existence crumbles, they fight over scarce resources. Famine is spreading.
In order to fight climate change and to tackle the food crisis, intentions grow to reforest lands & to develop sustainable ways of food production. However, when it comes to arid areas there is a dilemma: What to concentrate on, given that water supplies are limited? To plant forests or to produce food? Food Forests, that combine both could be the solution!
WHAT IS A FOOD FOREST?
It is a popular name for agroforestry, a concept that combines agriculture with forestry and fulfil the following sustainability standards: Water retention, soil regeneration, biodiversity, ecosystem health and carbon sequestration. In seven layers, pioneer and fruit trees are mixed with berry bushes, root vegetables, ground cover, climbing plants and herbs. Thus, they protect and shade each other, reduce evaporation, stabilize the soil and bind carbon dioxide. By planting and maintaining the Food Forests local communities profit from a rich and diverse harvest.
FOOD FOREST TENERIFE
Our eco-agriculturists Juan and Nuria are building a Food Forest at our experimental site in Arico, Tenerife (Spain). At the same time, they are our “test family” to evaluate whether it is possible to feed from a Food Forest and to make a living with it. We have started in 2021 with Food Forest 1 (to feed our test family) and we are continuing with Food Forest 2 in 2023 to feed a community of 50 people.
OUR MISSION & GOALS
Our mission is to empower young people to grow Food Forests in arid areas in order to fight climate change and to strengthen the livelihood of local communities. With our example, we want to convey confidence that they themselves are capable of reshaping the future of the planet.
Our main goals are to
• Build a Food Forest on our experimental site in Tenerife that can effectively feed a local community while contributing to climate protection
• Organize international Food Forest-Workshops to teach students and alumni from European, African and Middle Eastern countries to grow Food Forests in arid areas.
2. THE CORPORATE DESIGN CONTEST
What we have already:
• Brand name: FOOD FOREST
• Domain: Food-Forest.com
• Slogan: GROWING CONFIDENCE
• Power Point presentation (view attachment)
• Video about Juan & Nuria and Food Forest 1: https://youtu.be/umeD_Q7ci1Q
What we want you to create:
• A Logo in combination with a characteristic lettering that is representing the Food Forest idea
• Target group: Generation Z (20-30 years), ecologically interested
• The logo should reflect the mission of the project
• The central emotion delivered should be: CONFIDENCE
• The logo should be usable as a stand-alone graphic as well as in combination with the lettering and the slogan.
• It should be usable online and offline without copyright limitations
Please take into account that:
• It only makes sense to take part if you feel emotionally attached to the topic!
• Please don´t take over lettering, graphics or colors from the power point presentation! We want better results
• If your draft is chosen, we will ask you to work it over.
• If we decide for you, you will get an additional Corporate Design project.
“Very responsive and flexible. Excellent understanding of Brands and Customer needs.”