Make a recipe journal
- Status: Closed
- Prize: ₹5000
- Entries Received: 16
- Winner: marisaochoa
1. My mother was the worlds best cook according to me and her friends and our family. My mother recently expired leaving us with a rich legacy of her celebrated tried and tested recipes.
2. I am now looking at publishing her recipes that fall into 4 categories, to ensure her legacy lives [login to view URL] 4 categories are : 1) Desserts 2 ) Everyday Joyful Meals (Vegetarian, Indian), 3)Indo Chinese 4 ) Non Vegetarian ( Indian).
3. My mother was from the beautiful blue mountain town of Ooty , the south of India, also called the [login to view URL] for amongst many other things, the Toda tribes (dwindling,very poor ). My mothers name was Mira.I would like to self publish these books under the name of Miracles, as the proceeds from this will be going to create mini miracles in the Nilgiris for my mums favourite social causes including education, vocational training, health
4. The Todas of the region have a unique embroidery ( attached ) which i want captured in the recipe book as I will be putting an apron set into the recipe book set as a tactile giveaway.
5. The recipe book set could be one single ring file journal book for the 4 categories ( each has about 50 - 75 recipes ) or then 4 separate books in one box or even 1 book for 1 set as things churn out.
6. The pages I am looking for to get designed are vintage, elegant and with food illustrations ( sample attached : more details on a pinterest board [login to view URL] ). Quirky, lively , simple different : quite like my mother.
7. While her recipes have alot of Indian words for ingredients ( for e.g zeera for cumin and paneer for cottage cheese ) this will not affect the design layout and eventually, if required and the designer needs, these will be translated and provided back for ease.
IMMEDIATE ASK FOR CONTEST
Goal : Looking for a graphic designer who can help me put the entire book/s, set, together.
Contest : To design and show 3 recipes from her Dessert section and suggestion for box
1. Banana Walnut Bread
Flour, baking powder, ripe bananas, chopped walnuts, eggs, oil, sugar, soda bicarb
Sift 1 ½ cups of flour with teaspoon baking powder. Mash I cup of ripe bananas and add 1 cup of chopped walnuts to it. Beat together 2 eggs ½ cup oil and ½ cup sugar. Mix 1 teaspoon soda bicarb and 4 tablespoon of cream Add flour then bananas egg mix and then the soda mix and mix all together. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake in moderate oven for 45 minutes 1 hour.
2. Austrian Torte
Sponge cake, icing sugar, egg, mixed peel, chocolate, rum, cream, glace cherries
Filling: Take 6 oz butter, 6 oz icing sugar, 1 large egg, 1 oz chopped mixed peel, and 3oz chopped chocolate in a bowl and mix this well.
Coffee Dip: Dissolve 2 teaspoon of coffee in ¼ pint of hot water and add 2 tablespoon of dark rum. Cool. Dip a sponge cake (cut in fingers) in this coffee dip. Place a layer of the sponge cake fingers at the bottom of a lined cake tin. Add a layer of filling. Alternate between layers of cake and filling. The top layer should be cake. Cover the pan with aluminium foil . Leave to set in the fridge 4 -6 hours. To serve, turn on a serving plate. Whip cream to hold shape. Cover the whole cake with the cream and decorate with glace cherries and grated chocolate.
1 litre milk,50 gm basmati rice ,2 tablespoon water , 250 gm sugar ,¼ teaspoon saffron strands soaked in 1 tablespoon water, ½ teaspoon green cardamom powder ,rosewater to flavor ,50 gm raisins ,2 tablespoon orange juice ,2 tablespoon blanched sliced pistachio nuts,2 tablespoon blanched browned almonds
Bring milk to a boil Soak rice in water for 30 minutes and grind to a paste. Add to milk with sugar. Whisk over a moderate flame until the mixture thickens and is well reduced. Stir in saffron spice and rosewater. Soak raisins in orange juice and arrange over base of serving dish. Pour the phirni over it. Chill well. Decorate with nuts and silver leaf before serving
Top entries from this contest
CosmicOwl95 New Zealand
Aabuemara Palestinian Territory