NASA Contest: Create a 2-Minute animation/video from storyboard for REALM project
- Status: Closed
- Prize: $3000
- Entries Received: 27
- Winner: LouReu
The goal of this challenge is to create a 3-minute animation, based on a provided storyboard, that describes NASA’s REALM project to the general public. A background summary is provided below, although a careful reading of the attached detailed description is recommended.
REALM (RFID-Enabled Autonomous Logistics Management) is a 3-phased experimental project based on RFID (radio frequency identification) technologies. The primary objective is to learn how to automate logistics management for future space exploration missions. While early stages of the REALM experiments are focused on solutions to automate activities such as inventories and item searches, future experiments that allow robotic interaction with logistics, such as unpacking or setup in advance of human arrival, are anticipated. It is considered critical for beyond–Low Earth Orbit missions, in which ground support for finding items is impractical and re-launch of missing items is not an option. It also improves packing efficiencies for reduced stowage volume. The REALM team is using the International Space Station as a test bed to evaluate and mature the relevant technologies.
• The storyboard is attached as a PDF.
• A separate PDF contains recommended edits to the storyboard.
• Also attached is a PDF that provides a description of the REALM system in more detail along with images of the system.
The following links to models of the International Space Station provide content that may be used in the animation:
[url removed, login to view]
[url removed, login to view]
• A 2- to 3.5-minute video or animation that describes the REALM experiments for a non-technical audience; i.e., the general public
• The animation should be based on the attached storyboard, although editing to achieve the desired 2-3.5 minute length is expected.
• Rewording of the storyboard is acceptable to improve clarity or to better convey key points.
• Departure of storyboard shots is acceptable to improve clarity or to better convey key points.
• Use of the NASA Logo is not permitted
• Use of the REALM logo is encouraged (artwork provided as attachment)
• Graphics are provided with the intent of providing a complete overview. While the graphics may be used in submissions, inclusion is not required.
- Container: MP4 with no edit lists.
- Audio Codec: AAC-LC in stereo or stereo + 5.1 with a sample rate of 96khz or 48khz.
- Video Codec: H.264
- Frame Rate: The same rate the video was captured at.
- Bitrate: no fixed bitrates required.
- Resolution and aspect ratio: 16:9 aspect ratio at your preferred HD resolution.
- A closed caption file (.scc file) would be needed for the final delivery
• The video is intended to convey the concept of the REALM project and why it is important to NASA.
• Quality: Does the submission look professional? Is the audio clear?
• Requirements: Does the submission meet the stated requirements?
• Clarity: Does the submission describe the 3 phases of REALM in terms understandable by the general public?
• Stirs public interest
• 2 - 3.5 min video including credits
Please note that NASA employees/contractors are not eligible for competing in this contest.
“Louis took the REALM storyboard and put together a great animated video. He was extremely quick with final updates and delivery. Well done Louis!”
nasacoeci, United States.
Top entries from this contest
PowerbrokerKD Russian Federation
olegkrechetoff Russian Federation
boadstudio United Arab Emirates