Provide a plan in writing for creating a site in PHP/MySQL
- Status: Closed
- Prize: $30
- Entries Received: 6
- Winner: sonaht
The objective of this contest is to receive ideas that can lead to a plan to build a website in PHP/MySQL. You are to write at least one A4 page and describe how you would go about in creating the site (in technical terms, focus on the database challenges, not the design of the site). Although I offer 30 dollars to the winners (plural), it shouldn't take you more than an hours work and it could lead to future collaboration between us (not to mention that this should be fun to write).
I want to know if open source can be used for this kind of project (Wordpress, MediaWiki?)—and if so, to what extent, and in which areas—and I’d like to know the amount of hours it would normally take to program these features.
The nature of the website is to have users contributing with various text materials which, in turn, can be sorted out by different categories, publishing date, etc. You will find a more detailer description below.
One winner is guaranteed, but if I’ll receive several good suggestions that I find fulfilling, I’ll award several winners. Maybe two, three winners, or even more. And, when I start working on the site, some of you might be contracted to help build the site. Don’t hesitate to ask for clarification (I’m well aware that I’m not being very clear on this!) After you upload your document (doc, Pages or PDF), I might ask you for clarification; or, if you are one of those who are awarded, I might have a couple of follow-up questions. I hope this is ok.
Thanks and happy writing!
* publish text material (minimum X words, maximum Y words).
* tag the contribution by different categories that later can be searched on and sorted out.
* the contribution can be edited by the user for a certain amount of time.
* user statistics: amount of contributions, the latest contribution, etc.
* log in and access to forum (maybe Disqus?);
The text material:
* Published text-material (”contribution”) can be accepted in two ways: 1) the moderator promotes it; 2) the contribution is put to a vote where other users rate it between 1-5. A rate of at least 3 will promote it to the site (X amount of votes will be needed).
Important detail: a pseudo-random contribution will be picked from various arrays that belong to different categories and will be shown on the main page for X amount of seconds, after which a new random contribution will be shown.
— Only a selected part of the contribution will be shown on the main page, a specific part of the text that the uploader (the user) has selected to be shown, if the contribution is selected to be shown on the main page.
— When the visitor clicks on the random contribution, he is taken to the page that belongs to that specific contribution.
* Ads will be located to the right of the page where contributions are found (that is, not on the main page). Depending on the text content of the text contribution, along with the tags that help categorize the contribution, the ads are meant to match them. Sort of like google ads. Please let me know the best way to do this. I’m interested in advertisement with Amazon, ebay, alibris, etc.
* Contributions will be able to be shared on Facebook and other communities. I’m guessing this is a discipline of its own, but I’d like to know how this can be implemented.
“I asked for a written plan on building a website and sonaht provided. I hope we\'ll work on future projects.”