Ambient Sound of a Journey in London
This project received 16 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of £174 GBP.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budget£20-£250 GBP
I am preparing the soundtrack for a non-commercial radio-play, as a portfolio piece for a writer. The play is 12 minutes long and is a monologue of a person talking into a mobile phone while they travel to work. I'd like someone to record the ambient sound according to the specific details below.
In the script, the male protagonist walks the following journey:
2 mins - walking through busy streets
2 mins - descends into a tube station, through the the ticket barrier, and down the escalators
30 seconds - rushes down the last flight of stairs just in time to catch the train before it leaves the platform
1 mins - taking the train one station
1:30 seconds - ascending back to street level
3 mins - walking through busy streets
The job involves a man (or a woman with a longer stride) taking a recording device on this walk, so I have an audio track with the changing ambience as the journey progresses.
1. The play is a phone conversation, but I need a stereo audio at good quality. Recording this mono through a phone's built-in speaker is probably not going to work. If in doubt, send me a sample and I'll let you know. For example, I've recorded other ambient sounds at the quality I want by just walking around with a Zoom H4N with its windshield on.
2. Popping or heavy wind-noise clipping would make the result unusable, so don't pick a windy day!
3. The 'rushing down the stairs for the tube' bit is crucial. So if you're recording this, standing at the top of the last flight of stairs until the train comes in, then rushing down would be fine. I can edit out the waiting.
4. In the script, in the tube station at the start of the trip he passes a busker playing a particular tune. I will add the sound of the busker myself. So I mention this because the ambient sound you provide should *not* include the sound of a busker in the tube station (someone off in the distance in the street is fine).
5. The street level-bits should have people on the streets. An average central london street on an average day would be fine.
6. The voice acting includes breathing sounds, so you must take care not to capture your own breathing in a noticeable way. This will render the whole audio unusable.
7. I'd be willing to pay a little more if you have a pair of in-ear binaural mics to record this. Please state this on your bid or in a note. If you do this but don't record a bona fide binaural recording, then I will not accept the result. This is not essential, so please bid even if you have a basic stereo recorder. If you are recording with a regular recorder, I would appreciate it recorded at approximately head-height with LR pointing to your Left and Right. But be careful of point #6!
8. I can edit down the footage, so don't try to hit my exact timings, as long as you have at least that long in each section. If you send an hour of footage, that is fine.
9. It has to be London. If it didn't, I could record it myself.
Feel free to ask any further questions.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online