Geology assignments short project
This project received 2 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $9 USD / hour.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budget$2-$8 USD / hour
After visiting the following websites, please respond to the 7 questions at the end. Feel free to also search for other reputable internet sources regarding this event.
CNN - Florida sinkhole (right click, "Open in New Tab")
USGS Florida sinkhole (pdf)
Hillsborough County, FL sinkholes (pdf)
1) What is the date of when this Florida sinkhole occurred which resulted in a fatality?
2) From page 127 of the USGS link above, which of the 3 types of sinkholes occurred in this recent event? How can you tell?
3) From pages 133-134 of the USGS pdf, what are the human events (more than one) that contribute to sinkholes in Tampa, FL?
4) From the Hillsborough County 2008 map, how many sinkholes do you see 31 ft or bigger?
5) What climate conditions are typical this time of year in Hillsborough County, FL that contributed to the sinkhole collapse?
6) Spend 20+ min. research and find out if there are any efforts/technology as to whether people can determine if there are sinkholes below their property. (Please cite your source(s)).
7) When you graduate, you finally get your dream job in Tampa, FL. Would you move there? Why or why not? (no right or wrong answer)
In this activity, we will discuss the effects of humans on groundwater. To begin, please view the following websites. You may want to right click and “Open Link in New Tab.”
[url removed, login to view]
[url removed, login to view]
What to Write by Friday: After you are done with the readings for this assignment, respond to the following in 200+ words:
Tell us which watershed in which you live. Include the map of your watershed by right clicking on the map and “Save Image As.” Please save you pictures as “Your Last Name’s [url removed, login to view]” (or .jpg file extension) and attach your picture to your discussion write-up. Do NOT copy/paste the image in the body of the thread.
Choose 1 of the 9 case studies from the second website above and write a detailed summary of the article. Please note: do NOT copy/paste material from the article. I will run your work through a plagiarism checker if I suspect plagiarism.
Is there anything humans could have done to prevent the situation?
Include a critical-thinking question about your article to which your teammates can respond. The question should be designed to engage your teammates in discussion (not just “what year did …. occur? or a question with a one-word answer).
Respond to two people by Sunday.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online