Pelikan (Project Management System)
This project received 34 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $17633 USD.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budgetmin $5000 USD
The Pelikan system:
Pelikan is envisioned as a web-based system that supports high-quality management of United Nations University projects. It acts as part of an ongoing project management initiative ([url removed, login to view]) begun in 2010, to establish University wide standards and procedures for the implementation of research and capacity development projects. Pelikan is intended support this, taking account of the rules, guidelines and procedures. It is guided by the principle that the future system should be end-user focused and supportive, with a clear process and clear guidance. At the same time it should also be tailored to user and institute needs as much as is possible. Pelikan is also intended to fully support integration with other UNU common systems.
The UNU project management initiative is led by a team in the Office of the Rector. Having supported the development of the programme and project management manual (PPMM), on which Pelikan is based, the team now focuses on:
- supporting the implementation of the manual throughout the University,
- providing the institutes with relevant support and guidance in implementing the PPMM,
- conceptualizing a web-based project management system (Pelikan) and
- ensuring that the end-users’ needs are being fulfilled throughout the initiative.
In addition, assistance is provided by a Consulting Developer who is advising and supporting the project management team at the Office of the Rector with background knowledge on the system, and the work performed up to this point.
The team also collaborates closely with the UNU Office of Communications in relation to future integration with unu.edu.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Duration: until end of October/delivery date
Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Work together with the Development Team based in Tokyo and the Consulting Developer to fully understand the workflows and policies in Programme and Project Management Manual (PPMM)
- By combining open source languages and applications, produce a highly scalable web application based on the PPMM
- With the guidance of UNU Campus Computing Centre and Consulting Developer recognize and realize the needed integration points in UNU IT architecture and develop solutions for them
- Report to the Development Team and the Consulting Developper
- Proficient in Drupal, including custom module development, key contributed modules and the core API, CCK, Views
- Proficient in PHP, ideally within a Linux, Apache, MySQL environment.
- Experience integrating free software and third party applications into existing systems
- Strong communication skills
- Must have a service-centered approach to development
- Basic understanding of IIS, Active Directory, LDAP/OpenLDAP
- Strong GUI design skills
- Apache SOLR experience
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills. Ability to communicate within a multicultural environment and end-users located in many different countries
- Particular receptiveness and encouragement to satisfy the end-user feedback needs,
- Flexibility and strong team skills as well as a solution oriented approach to work. Must have good experience working in a team, and be ready to update team members on a regular basis.
Required experience/reference:-Proven track record in deploying scalable web applications
Reference document /specifications: The first task with the team will be to define a priority list taking account of the existing specifications.
Remuneration: CTC consultancy contract.
Daily rate: competitive.
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate training and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the United Nations, its Peoples and Member States. It serves as the think tank for the United Nations system.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online