Linux Distribution Customization
This project received 7 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $22 USD / hour.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budget$15-$25 USD / hour
I have tested a Linux distribution that works well with my dedicated hardware. It is a very lightweight Ubuntu distro using LXDE. The hardware currently boots the image from micro sd card as a live OS.
I need to be able to flash the OS onto the internal drive of several systems and then set up a unique computer names on each system. I also need a bunch of tweaks done to clean up, brand and 'lock down' the system. The system will only do one thing: launch Chromium browser fullscreen to a specific url.
Here is a list of general customizations that I need done to the OS:
1. Add a graphic that serves as the background of the boot loader, login screen and desktop
2. Remove all unwanted/un-needed packages. I only need Chromium browser and basic OS administration like wifi setup.
3. Login control that, unless interrupted by keyboard input, automatically logins a public user and launches Chromium fullscreen (more details on public vs admin login below)
4. Roll all of these changes into a new distro image that can be used to flash the internal memory of several (identical) devices.
5. An easy method (either during image install or after admin login) to set a unique computer name and unique url for Chromium to open to.
Admin user specific:
1. Keyboard input at login screen stops automatic login of public user and displays normal login/password input for admin. Login launches normal LXDE desktop with full admin rights
Public user specific:
1. Automatic login to system. I would prefer there be no desktop at all since there is no user interaction and Chromium launches full screen to a specific URL. Is it possible to launch without a window manager?
This is a proof of concept project. If all goes according to plan I would like to pursue the idea of a custom shell/desktop in C++ or Python in a new project. That is why I included those skills in this project. They are probably not needed for this phase of the project but I would like to find someone good and reliable who I can continue working with as I build this project out.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online