The Crook Protocol
This project received 3 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $22 USD / hour.Get free quotes for a project like this
The purpose of this project is to create an easily communicated description of an existing meditation protocol which alleviates psychological trauma and strengthens the immune system in cancer patients.
Areas of Expertise Required:
A) “Psychologist” with expertise in “Trauma” and “Meditation”:
Seeking psychologists who specialize in “trauma” and use or are familiar with “meditation/mindfulness” treatment interventions. The psychologist will collaborate with Dr. Crook in creating a description of how his meditation protocol alleviates psychological trauma. The description will explain the relationship between trauma and toxicity from chemotherapy and radiation in Dr. Crook’s cancer patients.
B) Ability to write in a language that “Integrative Medicine” experts can understand:
In creating a description of the protocol we explain Dr. Crook’s model in a language that others in the field can understand—oncologists, psycho-oncologists, psychotherapists, integrative medicine practitioners, researchers, and providers.
C) Ability to find an existing model for treating psychological trauma that is simple to understand:
We will find an existing model for treating psychological trauma that is simple, and piggyback on that model to articulate Dr. Crook’s protocol. There is no need to invent a new model.
D. Experience with Evidence Based Treatment Research:
A) We will create a description of the interplay between the eradication of toxicity from chemotherapy and radiation and the alleviation of trauma. This may require collaboration with neurobiologists and other researchers.
B) In describing the model, we will introduce the instruments that will be used to assess the efficacy of the protocol. We will collaborate with Dr. Lloyd Williams, a psychological research specialist, to assess which evidence based measurements to use. He will assess instruments used in current meditation/cancer studies (i.e. chemo brain studies).
1. What is the best existing psychological trauma model we can use to describe our protocol?
2. What is the viability of using the “Four Level Reality Model” to describe our protocol?
3. Which instruments should we use to assess the efficacy of the protocol?
Description of Action Steps:
1. Identify similarities and differences between Dr. Crook’s protocol and Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) in treating cancer patients.
2. Compile existing materials: session notes, Dr. Williams comments on existing meditation cancer studies, and descriptions and definitions of key terms of the protocol . For example, anecdotal experiences include patients tasting metal in their mouth which lets Dr. Crook know that they are detoxifying from chemotherapy.
3. Obtain and review books that fit our scope of treatment such as those on “chemo brain”.
4. Organize session notes, existing descriptions of the protocol, define key terms used in the protocol. Write descriptions of each phase of treatment. For example, the resetting of Body Sense awareness happens in which phase? Put existing material in column one. In a second column, describe what occurs in terms of psychological terms and especially as it relates totrauma (i.e. the split between mind and body, schemas, etc.). In a third column, add input from experts from other fields, such as neurobiology.
1. The Four Level Reality model would describe what occurs in these four areas of self under each phase of Dr. Crook’s protocol:
a) Physical (immune system)
b) Mental (schemas)
c) Emotional (affect)
d) Spiritual (consciousness, the brain)
We would look at the patient’s movement over time in each of these four areas; report out what occurs in session one, session two, etc.
2. Evidence-Based Research
Dr. Lloyd Williams has given us a short list of research instruments to obtain for his review. We need to obtain other instruments that our expert collaborators suggest we review.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online