Video for Linux for Java (v4l4j) MakeFile rewrite
This project received 2 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $ USD.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budget$30-$50 USD
This project was posted by **vWorker**, and special rules apply, per your contract: <[url removed, login to view]>
"From time to time Exhedra may wish to place projects on the site as a Employer. If the Worker were to bid on and win such a project and then a dispute were to arise, the Worker would not wish Exhedra to perform arbitration, as it would place Exhedra in a potential "conflict of interest" situation where it was judging a bid request in which it was a party to. To prevent this from happening, Exhedra agrees to the following:
To clearly post in the description of the project that the project is being posted by Exhedra, and that special rules apply to the project, as detailed in this section.
To waive their rights to arbitration.
By posting a bid on such a project, the Worker agrees:
To waive their rights to arbitration as well
To reduce the risk for the Worker, Exhedra will attempt to negotiate mutually agreeable partial payments for the achievement of milestones."
**We are preparing a Linux release of our AccuTimeCard application, and we are looking for someone with experience in preparing applications for distribution to Linux systems. We need someone with experience with creating and editing MakeFiles, Ant build files, and resolving Linux dependency issues.
Details continue below.**
**We are preparing a Linux release of our AccuTimeCard application, and we are looking for someone with experience in preparing applications for distribution to Linux systems. We need someone with experience with creating and editing MakeFiles, Ant build files, and resolving Linux dependency issues.**
**We are using v4l4j (Video for Linux for Java) to access web cameras on Linux systems. This code uses a JNI bridge to interact with the v4l (Video for Linux) platform. The author of v4l4j distributes the application as source code with an Ant build file, and the build has dependencies on the Java JDK, and libJpeg. The author provides instructions for building the code, but the instructions don't cover all of the possible scenarios and we had to do some online research to get the code to build correctly. We would like to simplify the build process as much as possible when we distribute this code as part of our own application.**
**Ideally we would like to be able to distribute a binary that would not require the user to have to build anything on their own. We understand that binaries often aren't compatible across different Linux distributions. So we plan to include the v4l4j source code and instructions for the build. We would like to rework the build process so that it is as simple as possible. In particular, we believe that we can eliminate the Ant build file, and only use standard MakeFiles.
We need someone who can take the existing MakeFiles and source for the v4l4j project and rework them for us to achieve the following:**
1. **Build a binary file for v4l4j that can be distributed with our application**
1. **All files for the application should be located in a single file or directory within our project. There should be no requirement to run a build script or to copy files into the usr/lib or usr/share folders.**
2. **Remove the need to use Ant to build the project**
1. **Prebuild the Jar file(s)**
2. **Create a new MakeFile to replace the Ant build file**
3. **This should also hopefully remove the dependency on the Java JDK for the build process.**
3. **Check the existing V4l4j MakeFiles to verify that they follow standard Linux practices and rewrite the MakeFiles where needed**
1. **Several files are copied into usr/ folders. We would like to determine if this is necessary or an acceptable practice? We would prefer to keep the files within our own project folders if possible.**
2. **Symbolic link files are created to point to the resources that are copied into other folders. The MakeFiles may need to be updated to correct the links.**
4. **Prepare a ReadMe file with the instructions for building the v4l4j code.**
1. **Edit the existing ReadMe file for v4l4J and a troubleshooting document provided by the author to create a comprehensive set of instructions.**
2. **Create a seconds ReadMe file with instructions for our simplified build.**
5. **Provide advice on best practices for distributing our software to as many Linux distributions as possible. This might lead to a second project to build an RPM or other package file for distribution through the Linux package management system.**
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online