Religious Worship Service Experience/Evaluation Project
Project Learning Objectives:
• To become familiar with the worship and faith life of a particular Christian denomination/religion of the student’s choice.
• To gain a deeper appreciation for the variety of religious expressions in society.
• To become familiar with making observations and formulating questions of a theological nature.
• To be able to critically evaluate a particular aspect of religious belief/faith.
• To allow the student to question and evaluate his/her own level of religious toleration and respect for other religions/faith expressions.
• The student will select a particular Christian denomination/religion other than his/her own, which is of interest to the student, and attend the particular worship service.
• The student will be actively engaged, as much as possible, in the particular service.
• The student will write a 3 page reflection/reaction paper based upon the experience.
• The student will provide a brief overview of the service, the similarities/differences with his/her own denomination and formulate any questions about the experience.
• The instructor evaluates the project and provides the student with a grade.
Components of the Project:
• Title Page
• A 1 paragraph summary of why this particular Christian denomination/religion was selected and a historical overview of the religion.
• A 1 to 1 ½ page overview of the structure of the particular worship service.
• A 1 to 1 ½ page personal reaction/reflection which will include a discussion of the differences/similarities with the student’s own denomination/religion, and the proposal of various queries the student formulated based upon his/her experience.
• Appendix which will include the name of the place of worship attended, address, minister/pastor/priest/worship leader name, and church bulletin/announcement sheet/worship aid, etc.