SERVICE MANAGEMENT FOR THE TOURISM, LEISURE AND EVENT INDUSTRIES
2000 Word Report
You are required to critically evaluate the strategies that could be adopted by TWO tourism, leisure or events organisations in attempting to improve service quality.
Your report should make reference to AT LEAST the following:
The report will assess learning outcomes 2, 3 and 4 and therefore must at least cover the following:
1. Some strategies adopted by managers to design, deliver and improve services.
2. An appreciation of the role of customer relations in service management
3. A demonstration of critical thinking, (use of current journal and academic books)
The report will assess learning outcomes 2, 3 and 4 and, therefore, must at least cover the following:
2. Some strategies adopted by managers to design, deliver and improve services.
3. An appreciation of the role of customer relations in service management
4. A demonstration of critical thinking, (use of current journal and academic books)
Planning your Report and Critical Decisions
Deciding upon organisations- preferably NOT a destination.
Approaching organisations to request internally created documents
Deciding on a central THEME for your report
Deciding which theory is relevant / appropriate to your report
Collecting your evidence
Create a log to track the evidence you collect:
Where to find the evidence
• Journal articles-THE MAJORITY PLEASE! AT LEAST HALF OF YOUR REFERENCES SHOULD BE FROM ACADEMIC JOURNAL ARTICLES.
• Academic text books
• Newspapers online (broadsheets, e.g. Times, Guardian, Financial Times and hard copy)
• BBC news online
• Television: documentaries ([url removed, login to view], ‘Tonight’-Trevor Macdonald, SKY channels, e.g. Discovery, documentary channels)
• General Google searches
• External links on CLIC (trade magazine links-travel, leisure and events)
NB With all online sources; please remember to log full URL and date of accession.
Develop a routine of collecting evidence / preparing your report:
• Check the possible sources of evidence as above on a REGULAR basis, i.e. at least once a week.
• Given that the report is due to be submitted on the 5th March, you will need to draw a line on collecting of evidence ideally no later than two weeks before this date, to allow sufficient time to write up your report.
Visitor experience/satisfaction in (Context) UK’s visitor attractions- comparison between a large theme park (Thorpe Park) and a small theme park-style attraction (Rare Breeds Centre). OR
Human Resource Management (focusing on customer service skills) in the accommodation sector – a comparison between the ABODE Hotel and Travelodge in Canterbury.
Service Design/delivery in local/small scale events/festivals versus large scale events – (e.g) a comparison between the Canterbury Food Festival and the Notting Hill Festival.
Satisfaction/Complaint Management in local authority maintained leisure facilities versus privately maintained leisure facilities
[url removed, login to view]
Writing in Report Format
Title page: title of report; who it is to, who it is written by, date etc
Contents page: contents of report and related page numbers
Executive Summary: a summary of the key issues within the report (snapshot)