Topic: Leadership and Power: What are the main factors to consider?
Length: 2000 - 2500 words
THE ESSAY TASK AND KEY CRITERIA
Explore your own question regarding leadership, using
(a) texts/concepts /frameworks covered in the module*
(b) additional relevant readings from the academic leadership literature
(c) your newspaper/media archive.
(a), (b), + (c) = your resource materials
*You are NOT expected to include every text/key person covered in the module. However, it is important that you choose a selection from across the 3 broad areas (philosophy, sociology, psychology) that enable you to explore your question in a meaningful way.
Your essay is evaluated against the following key criteria:
• A competent understanding of the module material that you have selected to help explore your leadership question. This will be demonstrated by a clear and accurate articulation of the key arguments and ideas you have selected and a considered analysis of the contribution of these ideas to the exploration of your leadership question.
• An ability to source relevant additional material (from both the academic domain and media reports) and to integrate, synthesize and critique these materials in relation to the module texts and to the exploration of your leadership question.
• The use of the above to
o develop a logical argument that helps to provide an insightful exploration of your leadership question
o expand and enrich your understanding of your “leadership question”
o identify further questions and challenges that the inquiry/analysis of your leadership question suggests.
REFERENCES AND APPENDICES
Your reference list needs to include all references that you have cited in your essay. These cited references include not only those from which you have taken “direct quotes” but importantly also those that have shaped your ideas – that is, you must cite your references for any ideas you present that are not your own. You can choose the referencing style that you are most familiar and competent with (e.g., Harvard, APA) but please ensure that you use the same referencing style throughout your essay.
For the newspaper articles that are cited in your essay, you will also need to include the complete articles in an appendix. These newspaper articles will include those from which you have drawn direct quotes, as well as those which you have used to form an opinion, or to provide support for an idea.
Please ensure that your essay is submitted in the following format:
• Has a title
• Word-processed, 1.5 or double line spacing, with page numbers.
• Double-sided printing (if possible).
• With your student number and the module code clearly shown on each sheet of paper.
• With the total word count shown at the end of the document.
• With a reference list attached containing all references cited in your essay.
• With your newspaper archive attached as an appendix.
Your essay will be marked according to your competence in addressing the key criteria (outlined above) as well as in line with the more general Business School undergraduate marking guidelines (copied below) as they relate to your essay task.
Marks and feedback will be structured under the headings of:
• Use of relevant material
• Argument and logical analysis
• Style and Presentation
require to read all the files before writing!!