Network Management and Design
- Status Closed
- Budget N/A
- Total Bids 9
Tyrell Corporation, a small company employing about 250 (mostly) human employees, has recently purchased a new site for their main base of operations. Prior to moving to the new site it is important that the appropriate infrastructure is put in place. You have been contracted to design (and later maintain and run) an affordable and fit for purpose network for them; two class C addresses have been provided for that purpose. In order to assist you in the process of producing a solution that fulfils their requirements the company has allowed you access to the new site as well as their current, soon to be abandoned, premises.
The new site is located on the banks of river Avon and consists of two buildings. The first of the two buildings, Nexus, has two floors. The first (ground) floor is intended to house a visitor’s centre, offering a cafeteria, a conference room and a showroom. Wireless access should be available to the visitors. The second floor of the Nexus building contains a number of offices and is intended to house the management, human resources and sales departments. This floor has more office space than currently required by those three departments.
The second building, Operandi, is a three storey building located about 120 meters away from Nexus. The two buildings are separated by the company’s privately owned car park. As the company is very security conscious access to the Operandi building is for authorised company personnel only. The IT facilities office and server rooms are located on the first (ground) floor. The rest of the space in the building is to be used for office space by the company’s remaining 6 departments (finance, research and development, engineering, design, legal and marketing). Despite this building having an extra floor there is not enough space for all of the employees of those departments.
The company owns some land near by and, assuming the company keeps on expanding and the funds needed can be found, intends to build an additional building there at some point in the future (in a few years maybe). You have been asked to take this fact into account when designing your solution.
Ultimately you need to produce a report that discusses your design, the problems identified and your solutions to them. We are interested on how you apply the theory for solving specific issues relating to the scenario and your assumptions; reciting everything you know about a topic but not applying it to the particular problem is a recipe for failure. The main key areas that you need to address in your report are:
1. Explain the requirements gathering process and the assumptions made about the company, the building, and other parameters of the problem. If necessary provide diagrams such as floor plans.
2. Propose devices that could be used for implementing your design, discussing the physical topology and device placement.
3. Present your network design (including any plans to support expansion in the future). Provide a logical topology diagram and justify your design decisions.
4. Discuss the addressing scheme and how you intend to utilise the public addresses available to you.
5. Draw appropriate policies for the network; no need for a full policy document but should address the main issues.
6. Discuss network security threats for this particular organisation and evaluate possible solutions. Provide appropriate documentation, including device configurations if appropriate.
7. Design strategies and plans for network and performance monitoring and maintenance.
8. Identify potential risks and propose a disaster management and contingency plan.
9. A brief report to the Board (a page long max) highlighting the key finding of your report and justifying your decisions.
10. References in an appropriate format (Harvard).Get free quotes for a project like this
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online