Learning Outcomes covered in this Assignment:
Manage and implement Switching and routing
ABC Research Company is a small company that is developing ADSL routers for home use. It has hired a network consultant to design their network. The main office occupies a two storey building in Derby which accommodates the Administration Group, Sales and Marketing Group, and the Research and Development Group. The Sales and Marketing Group is on the ground floor. Administration and Research and Development Groups are on the first floor. Four server machines are planned to be on the first floor. The ABC Research Company also has a Sales Branch Office located in a one storey building in London. See the following diagram for the company structure.
The company would need to have a wired network for the main office in Derby and a wireless network for the London Site. Both sites need to be connected through lease line. The London site’s connection to the Internet has to go through the main office in Derby. Your task is to design, implement and fully document the company network. In addition to a formal report, the company would like to see a prototype of the network built before it is fully implemented, to verify that it will meet the company’s needs. Only one http server needs to be implemented for demonstration. The company expects the use of VLSM design to maximise the use of IP addresses. The company would like to use EIGRP for routing. For demonstration, the company has agreed to allocate IP addresses to PCs and servers statically instead of using DHCP. The network should support 100% growth over the next five to ten years.
1. Design a network by using the recommended Cisco hierarchical model. The new network needs to be scalable, available, secured, high performance and manageable.
2. Produce a logical diagram that includes:
a. Routers, switches and wireless access point names
b. Router interface details
c. Network addresses
d. DCE Serial interfaces are to be clearly indicated
e. Link Speeds
3. Choose and decide the number of appropriate Cisco routers, switches and wireless access point for the task. Use VLSM for IP addressing. All networking devices must have IP addresses. Use public class C network address 210. 2.1.0/24 for internal address. Use subnet 18.104.22.168/30 for the connection to the Internet router.
4. Use VLAN to divide the company into different functional groups and justify your decision. Expect 100% growth of current IP requirements when determining size of subnets. A maximum of 7 servers on separate subnet regardless of company growth are needed.
5. Switches in the main building will need to be connected in a loop, so that if one switch fails an alternative path is used. Implement Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) to eliminate looping in the network, spanning tree root is to be placed in optimal position. Discuss the implementation of STP.
6. The network needs to be secured. Only legitimate users are allowed to access the network. Discuss the potential threats to the network and the mitigation techniques you have implemented to counteract these attacks. Configure the appropriate switch security and wireless LAN security on your network to counteract the potential attacks.
7. Discussion on testing and verification strategies. Document your testing and verification commands from routers and switches in the appendix.
8. Recommendations for future network upgrades.
1. A well illustrated formal written report of around 2500 words both as hard and soft copy. All configurations, VLAN databases are to be recorded in the appendix. In your report, you need to justify your network design and cover all requirements specified above. Demonstrate that you have done some background research by using Harvard style references.
2. A 10 minutes demonstration to test the connectivity of your network in week 10 by using Packet Tracer 5.3. In the demonstration, the company requires a http server to