We have a sample of a manufactured device and open source design files that we do not yet completely understand. It is an existing open source stepper motor driver, and we need your help to understand it and curate the bill of materials. You will cooperate with us and one or two companies we select to do the PCBA and reverse engineer the design. >90% of the device and gerber files are identical. The main lack is on the BOM.
Key tasks and milestones for this assignment:
1. Identify the changes between the design we have and the published design files
2. Work with the companies to verify that the changes make sense
3. Work with the companies to modify existing gerber files to match the current design
4. Work with the companies to modify existing BOM files to match the current design, in particular for 30-35V max specification
5. Help the company create a test procedure to verify proper manufacture of the PCBA
6. Help make minor optimizations to ensure the chip is properly designed to handle 2 amp specification.
The system relies on arduino and we can send you a board to develop the test procedure for it. Again, since the design is open source and clear online, there is only a small discrepancy to sort out. A talented person may only need 2 hours to dissect and understand the changes, and a few more hours to cooperate with the company to manage the BOM. The company will do most of the work to identify the BOM sources, but you may need to step in to convert eagle to gerber files, and modify gerber files, and ensure the electrical engineering makes sense. The project could up to a month to complete to final milestone.