We need a program that with the click of a button extracts similar data from several identical Excel spreadsheets (2003 SP3), located in several user-specified directories, and imports that information into a similarly looking but summarized Excel spreadsheet report. From there, the user simply saves and/or prints the report from Excel. Basically, the report will summarize three lines of data from each spreadsheet. Each subsequent record (i.e., individual spreadsheet) of data will be placed under the previous one in the report and the records imported will be in alphabetical order (by Last Name). The spreadsheets are uniquely named to avoid extracting other files found in these subdirectories. See sample spreadsheet and sample report spreadsheet.
The spreadsheets have already been designed. The spreadsheet report will contain the same headings and first line of data under the headings. However, some headings and data will not be used and some of the headings and corresponding data are in a different position on the report. Last names are bolded on the report. The report could end up being 1 page long or it could be many pages long.
1) The latest two lines of "notes" for each spreadsheet will need to be imported directly under the main data. These lines come from the "Notes" section of the spreadsheet which contains several lines of data, and the program will need to find and import only the latest (lowest) two lines that have notes in them.
2) None of this should be case-sensitive.
3) Ensure that the page numbers are on the bottom center and are of small font size so that ideally 10 records of data can be shown on each page.
4) The border lines that currently show up on page 2 need to be fixed. There seems to be a bold line that shows up at the bottom when printing. I am not sure why or how to get rid of it, so your help on that is requested.
5) If the cels for the note fields on the report are not merged, the data may extend out resulting in extra pages printed out. We don't want that to happen but welcome any alternate spreadsheet fix.
6) Any other suggestions from an experienced programmer are welcome. I would like this to work in the latest working version of Excel as well as Excel 2003 SP3. We may have users with different versions of Excel.
The program should include, at a minimum, settings where the user can specify and save:
1) The directories the report will draw from. There should be room to specify at least three directories to look in, and the program should look in any sub-directories of the directories specified (perhaps by option).
2) The name format of the files to be extracted. The files will be in the format "Lastname, Firstname Policytype Co NB App Summary ... .xls" and the program must search for all files containing what I just quoted including files with longer filenames due to extra characters. The first four parameters in the filename (Lastname, Firstname, Policytype, and Co could be anything, but NB App Summary will be in every spreadsheet. Notice the parameters are separated by spaces. However, I would like an extra check which warns the user about how many files, in the subdirectories specified, contain the letters "NB" but were not imported because they didn't meet the extra characteristics (see top of sample report).