Travel guides needed as early adaptors for a new travel website.
This project received 2 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $115 USD.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budget$30 - $250 USD
I'm currently creating a website for virtual travels with real-person travel guides.
Virtual guides will be able to earn money by guiding their virtual travellers.
NOTE: Website is currently under development (I expect the beta to be accessible in 2-3 weeks), But you can start to
configure your equipment right away. Testing it is already possible as the video module is already functional.
IMPORTANT: In order to configure your equipment you will require a good amount of technical knowledge or some help.
Required personal skills:
- very good spoken english
- you need to be communicative and entertaining
- live in a touristic area
- travel guide knowledge (history, buildings, museums, places, etc.)
Required technical equipment:
- HD Camerea video streaming glasses (see details below)
- A portable computer (laptop, ultrabook or tablet) compatible with the video glasses,
- Reliable High-speed mobile internet connection (UMTS, LTE, ...)
- Battery power for at least 4 hours (may use additional batteries)
- You need to set up a user account on my website and create your own travel guide presentation (which is easy to do)
- Outstanding results will be topped by some dollars.
- I may book some apropriate candidates during Germany's CeBit fair for USD10/hour.
- Once the platform is fully functional you may earn money from virtual travellers.
Selection of camera
The camera must be attached to your head in order to follow your looks. Camera glasses meet this requirement best.
There are many camera glasses on the market, ranging between low 2-digit and high 3-digit dollars. Most of them are designed for offline recording to their internal memory or to an SD card.
Usually they can be connected to a computer via USB. Some of these devices can be used as a web-cam for live video streaming.
To use these glasses as a Tourist Guide live video streaming is mandatory. Other glasses are useless! So before you buy such glasses you need to verify whether they can be used to stream the video directly to a computer like a web-cam.
As this feature is not (yet) a primary use case it might not be advertised on the package or in the product overview. You may read the full documentation or ask your dealer to find this out.
E.g. there is a supplier in Austria, [url removed, login to view] who offers high-quality glasses that can be used for video streaming. The product name is "MegaSight". It can be purchased through Amazon as well.
Selection of Headphones/Microphone.
While wearing head/earphones you still need to be able to hear your surroundings. Closed headphones or insulating earplugs should be avoided.
It is a good idea to be able to direct the microphone towards your surroundings or towards other people, so the virtual traveller can hear them.
- good: open Headphones/Earphones, separate mic., e.g. attachable to your collar
- good: headset with earphones and a cable-bound microphone (as widely used for mobile phones)
- maybe: Computer headset
- maybe: Bluetooth headset
Mobile internet connection
As a travel guide you will need be connected with your client outside and inside buildings (e.g. shops museums, ...), most likely in touristic areas of big cities.
You need to assure that video streaming is possible within these areas. Some cities have a good WiFi coverage, so staying online is cheap and simple.
Most Guides will need to connect through the internet using a 3G modem or a smartphone connected to their computer. Please bear in mind that video transmission requires substantial amounts of bandwidth.
- very good: use WiFi
- very good: use built-in 3G modem or use a 3G USB stick
- very good: connect smartphone via USB cable (no battery issues, computer serves as power supply)
- good: connect smartphone via Bluetooth
- maybe: connect smartphone via WiFi tethering (short battery life, potential WiFi interfers with UMTS on many phones)
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online