Network Simulations : MATLAB
This project received 5 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $34 USD.Get free quotes for a project like this
Browse Related Skills
Other things people do on Freelancer
Programmes taking the module
Assignment 1 Brief
Computer Network & Telecommunications group
School of Computing, Science and Engineering
Learning Outcomes of this Assessment
On completion of this assignment it is expected that the student will have a basic understanding of the use of random variables, the normal distribution and input analysis in modelling communication systems and their implementation in MATLAB.
Key Skills to be Assessed
Programming – MATLAB scripting
Communication – Production of written report
Introduction and Purpose
In the lectures and workshop sessions you have been introduced to a number of probability distributions. You have also learned that modelling any system (such as a communication system), requires the analysis of the input data. Random variables play an important role in the development of a model as they represent the input(s) to the modelled system. In order to use random variables in the modelling process, they need to be analysed and tested to verify that they represent a close fit to the real-world input. In order to do that, a ‘Goodness of Fit’ test is applied to a data sample in order to accept or reject a certain hypothesis. A hypothesis, generally states that a particular data sample conforms to a certain probability distribution. The purpose of this assignment is to determine via statistical analysis the probability distribution of the numerical data contained in a *.csv (comma separated) file.
Scenario and advice
There is a single data file on the Blackboard server, ‘[url removed, login to view]’. The file has been logged by
a communications device and represents the input to a system. In order to determine the effects on the output of the system, we need to be able to determine its probability distribution. To resolve this, it is suggested that you carry out the following:
Minimum objectives (these are required for a pass)
1. Read the ‘[url removed, login to view]’ file into MATLAB using the csvread(‘filename’) function and save the data to a variable.
2. Calculate the mean and standard deviation using your own custom functions and then verify these values using the functions built into MATLAB (a function template is available on Blackboard)
3. Create a q-q plot of the data using the qqplot(x) function
4. From the q-q plot, guess the probability distribution and then create data in a variable of that distribution type with approximately the same number of elements.
Network Simulation Assignment 1 Brief
BSc Computer Networks – level 5
5. Complete a regression analysis and determine the equation of the line (please refer to lecture 5 for an example)
6. Report on all your findings.
1. Create a custom Chi-Square function in MATLAB (please refer to lecture 7 for an example)
2. Carry out a Chi-Square analysis of the data (reference tables are also on Blackboard)
3. Report on all your findings.
The following must be submitted by the date outlined above:
An individual report (times new roman pt 12, single lined spaced) that outlines your solution and the development of your MATLAB simulation. It should include as a minimum an explanation of your MATLAB implementation, screen captures of MATLAB plots, a plot of the sample distribution and any functions you have developed in appendices. The report should approximate the following structure: Title page, Contents page, List of figures, Introduction, MATLAB Implementation, Conclusions and Appendices (make sure all MATLAB code is clearly available in the appendices)
This report counts for 50% of the total marks assigned to this module. In general the following outlines how this assignment will be graded.
• Report structure, presentation and clarity [20%]
• Appropriate technical content and its interpretation [60%]
• Evaluation and Conclusions [20%]
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online