We have a legacy VB6 application that requires the display of modern MS Office file formats (.dotx, .xlsx, .etc). Our current implementation uses the
Internet Explorer WebBrowser ActiveX component and, so far, we have not been able to implement the following strict rendering requirements. This is why we start this project on Freelancer.com.
1. Documents must render in a read-only manner (no editing options possible)
2. Documents must render without any Office GUI components (Ribbon, Menu bar, etc.) and user must not be able to make them appear
3. Hyperlinks must be active and followed in the same window (no external browsers or new tabs)
4. Mouse click and keyboard key events must be captured and distinguishable from hyperlink clicks
5. Final rendering must not show any discrepancy (layout, etc.) with respect to native Office app rendering.
6. Your final output should be either in source code or compiled api format.
Note: Our current implementation uses the Internet Explorer WebBrowser ActiveX component.
However, using this component is not compulsory, if you find a working alternative.
We believe this project is quite difficult and therefore it is of interest for us both to be sure that requirements are fully understood. If possible, it would be best to start a brief email discussion to understand how you plan to implement the project. We are not asking for complete line by line details per se but rather what your general approach may be. Our feeling is that either you are extremely skilled and believe what we are asking is simple, you already have solved this problem in the past and have a pre-built solution available, or you have misunderstood the requirements.
If you are open to briefly discuss the project further, then if both sides are satisfied afterward, we can then move forward with the award.