1. Using diagrams, describe how the fetch-execute cycle works in a von Neumann computer. In your explanation, you must include at least the operation of :
a)the instruction register
b)the program counter
c)the accumulator or register
d)the arithmetic logic unit
e)the status register
Illustrate the operation by explaining in detail i) how a simple arithmetic calculation (e.g. result=num1*num2) is carried out and ii) how a jump is implemented.
2. Using a complicated arithmetic expression as an example, explain how it needs to be broken into separate parts prior to implementation on a computer and how the computation process is helped by the use of more than one general purpose register.
You will be awarded marks as follows:
Ø Technical content and accuracy (part 1)40%
Ø Technical content and accuracy (part 2)20%
Ø Presentation 15%
Ø Evidence of research25%
Up to 10% may be deducted for bad spelling and grammar.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
Windows 2000 or xp