This project is now closed with a project budget of N/A.Get free quotes for a project like this
[Monocle]: [url removed, login to view]
[[url removed, login to view]]: [url removed, login to view]
- Add touch-scrollable Table of contents when list of chapters is longer than vertical screen size.
Monocle already comes with [[url removed, login to view]]([url removed, login to view]), which creates an onscreen tappable widget which brings up a TOC's pop-up. When the TOC is longer than its popup, though, overflowing chapters are not accessible, since the list is only scrollable on a regular browser, not on iPhone/iPad's touch-based Webkit. [url removed, login to view]'s version is scrollable on the iPhone.
- Add bookmarking system, which the reader can use to return to specific reading points at any moment. Bookmarks should be kept after after quit/reopen.
- Add variable font sizing that stays after quit/reopen. Monocle comes with [[url removed, login to view]]([url removed, login to view]) to alternate between two fixed CSS font sizes (100%, 115%). Turn it into controls that make the current font-size "bigger" or "smaller", instead of fixed values.
- Add cover animation based on CSS 3D Transforms (this one is not required but definitely a plus).
- Add state saving so that reading point is restored upon quit/reopen (via Monocle's [[url removed, login to view]]([url removed, login to view]), or cookies, or persistent storage or any trick you provide).
All these features are already implemented in [url removed, login to view]'s enhanced version of Monocle. I.e. This [Monocle sample book] does not have them, while this [[url removed, login to view] sample book] does (and then some others that I do not need).
[Monocle sample book]: [url removed, login to view]
[[url removed, login to view] sample book]: [url removed, login to view]
- Integrate [[url removed, login to view]]([url removed, login to view]), which will dinamically re-hyphenate text on change of line length (because of font-size, orientation and screen size). I.e. the hyphenating engine is already implemented, you just need to make Monocle load the script. See Monocle's main developer [hint]([url removed, login to view]) on possible approach.
- Change lateral tap/click behaviour to not slide page to tapped/clicked coordinates while on hold (it causes jerky motion on slower iPhones), while keeping the on-release effect of sliding to next/previous page by touch-based gestures of lateral tapping or sliding to move to next/previous page.
Required skills (do not apply if you do not master them)
- Experience implementing DOM Touch events targetting Mobile Safari for iOS (see <http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariJSRef/_index.html> if you think you can learn that up and master it **before** applying).
- Having had a deep look at Monocle's code and see how it works (uncompressed it is barely 100KB).
- Need to have an iPhone or iPod touch or iPad, since even if web-based, those are the intended platforms.
Not required but definitely a plus:
- Experience implementing CSS 3D Transforms targetting Mobile Safari (in order to deck up some transitions between pages, such as that of [url removed, login to view] cover and backcover).
- Experience with web-to-native app frameworks such as PhoneGap, NimbleKit, Appcelerator Titanium or others that will allow to wrap the web project inside an iOS App.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online