MS SQL Server DBA/Systems Administrator
This project received 19 bids from talented freelancers with an average bid price of $38 USD / hour.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budget$25 - $50 USD / hour
US Citizens only, Atlanta Metro preferred
We are looking for a highly competent and highly motivated individual to fill a role whose primary focus is that of a production DBA. The secondary focus of this role is that of systems administrator for our development and production environments.
Responsibilities include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, reviewing service related reports (e.g: backups, processor/memory/storage usage, network security, server and DB maintenance, performance monitoring) daily to ensure issues are identified and resolved and working with the product development team to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
This DBA/Systems Administrators role requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers updating with status of requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established time frames.
During the interview you will be asked to discuss a project or particular piece of technology that excites you and ask you questions on that project / technology in order to get a better understanding of the depth of your knowledge.
This role requires good communication skills. If you have a blog please pass along the URL so we can review your work. If you do not actively blog that is fine, but you should be prepared to show us an example of something you have written previously if we should happen to ask.
DBA Position Requirements:
• Experience with Database Administration for MSSQL Server.
• Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database problems.
• Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
• Experience with backups, restores and recovery models.
• Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
• Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts.
• Knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics.
• Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory and proper disk configurations.
• Good communication and documentation skills.
Preferred candidates would also meet the following criteria:
• Involvement with the MSSQL Server Community; active in forums or newsgroups.
• Relevant certifications are a plus but not required.
• Knowledge and experience with open source technologies is a plus.
System Administrator Position Requirements:
• Recommends and introduces new technologies to improve and maximize IT operations in support of the overall company IT operating plan.
• Performs routine audits of systems and software, and advises management of potential issues.
• Regularly checks to ensure that network infrastructure is in good operating mode.
• Manages the day-to-day operations of the Server /network environment by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair.
• Works with hosting and IT vendors to assist support activities.
• Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability.
• Performs troubleshooting as required, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
• Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical server environments.
• Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
• Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
• Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways to take advantage of new technology.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online