We are looking for a web developer to assist us in creating a social networking site for crafters and hobbyists. We’re hoping to launch it this summer or fall. Some features of the site:
1. The site will be primarily visual, meant to provide a venue for amateur or professional artists and designers to share photos of their personal projects and collections
2. It will be a social networking site – not particularly designed for personal updates and emailing or wall-posting, but rather for designers to collaborate on projects and follow one another’s work.
3. No content on the site will be private once published by users, the site will be designed entirely for the casual viewing public; by the same token, artists will have every opportunity to retain as much public anonymity as they desire. This site is about their work more than about them.
4. Users will be able to start a free account and upload content as either personal collections or as public collections
5. Public collections consist of a leading inspirational piece, followed by work others have done to interpret the original work (for instance, an artist might open a public group with an originally-designed shirt that followers might also make at home). This concept will be similar to what is seen in Flickr photo groups.
6. Users will have their own profile pages where all of their published work is available for viewing. Visitors may comment on or rate individual photos or whole collections. Profiles may consist of links to external sites such as the user’s personal blog page, Etsy site, etc.
7. Visitors to the site will be able to access a search bar from any page and find specifically tagged content that is relevant to their search. Search results can be sorted by relevance, view count, rating, or date entered.
A simplistic site mockup will be made available to developers during construction. The objective of this request is to secure the right partner to build the functional features of the site. Site construction is somewhat underway, using WordPress and BuddyPress. The intent of this project is to complete the work that has already begun, though we would be interested in hearing about the prospect of building the site with original coding.