Write a self-contained “shell” WxPython project that runs a sample Python app that renders a simple dialog and can be packaged into a small app for Mac and Windows. The main purpose is to make the packaged app small (3-5MB compressed) by doing a custom build of WxPython. This shell project will be the basis of a desktop app.
The project needs to contain:
* Sample [url removed, login to view] that uses wxPython to render a dialog or frame containing a text label, text field, multi-line text field, checkbox, radio button, button, and PNG image.
* CPython 32-bit 2.7.3 for mac and windows (to be bundled into the packaged apps)
* Custom build of wxPython 2.9 that’s very small (removes unused functionality and turns on compiler optimizations). [url removed, login to view]://[url removed, login to view]
* Scripts to run the app on Mac and Windows
* Scripts to package the app on Mac using py2app, and on Windows using py2exe, using whatever options available to minimize the size, and only included the parts of the python runtime that are used.
* Scripts to rebuild wxPython on Mac and Windows
* Documentation on how you did it all, sufficient to reproduce.
* Instructions on how to add/remove wxWidgets functionality for re-compiling, and turn on/off the compilation optimizations.
You’ll deliver a zip file containing this project. I want to unzip the project, run the scripts, and have it just work the first time on both Mac and Windows.
Let’s see how small you can get the app!
Someone good should be able to get this done in a week. There’s follow-on work if you get it done quickly and do a good job.