I have tested a Linux distribution that works well with my dedicated hardware. It is a very lightweight Ubuntu distro using LXDE. The hardware currently boots the image from micro sd card as a live OS.
I need to be able to flash the OS onto the internal drive of several systems and then set up a unique computer names on each system. I also need a bunch of tweaks done to clean up, brand and 'lock down' the system. The system will only do one thing: launch Chromium browser fullscreen to a specific url.
Here is a list of general customizations that I need done to the OS:
1. Add a graphic that serves as the background of the boot loader, login screen and desktop
2. Remove all unwanted/un-needed packages. I only need Chromium browser and basic OS administration like wifi setup.
3. Login control that, unless interrupted by keyboard input, automatically logins a public user and launches Chromium fullscreen (more details on public vs admin login below)
4. Roll all of these changes into a new distro image that can be used to flash the internal memory of several (identical) devices.
5. An easy method (either during image install or after admin login) to set a unique computer name and unique url for Chromium to open to.
Admin user specific:
1. Keyboard input at login screen stops automatic login of public user and displays normal login/password input for admin. Login launches normal LXDE desktop with full admin rights
Public user specific:
1. Automatic login to system. I would prefer there be no desktop at all since there is no user interaction and Chromium launches full screen to a specific URL. Is it possible to launch without a window manager?
This is a proof of concept project. If all goes according to plan I would like to pursue the idea of a custom shell/desktop in C++ or Python in a new project. That is why I included those skills in this project. They are probably not needed for this phase of the project but I would like to find someone good and reliable who I can continue working with as I build this project out.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the time frame
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Bids on this Project
NEW DELHI, India
Clark AFB Angeles City, Philippines
Surprise me! Mix it up a little bit so that I actually have to learn something new! Go ahead. Make My Day! Due to RAMPANT THIEVING (and screwed up rules) on this site, I will not accept any jobs until there is a pending milestone for the job, so please indicate that you are prepared to create the milestone in your offer.
Red Hat Certified Engineer #805009123038313 Have Experience on gadgets (blackberry, iPhone, iPad), windows server 2008 / 2008 R2, MacOS X Server.
Ha Noi, Vietnam
I hav experience programming in 5+ years. I use Perl, Python, C/C++, Shell, java for my job
Chelyabinsk, Russian Federation
Linux engineer. techno geek and embedded systems maniac. i like - Linux ( Debian, Ubuntu, Centos, OpenWrt), Freebsd, Embedded hardware(arm,mips,ppc), Arduino\esp8266, Web(nginx,mysql,apache,varnish,apc,php-fpm and etc), System\Network administration, Сircuit engineering, and motorcycles of course :) i hate - Systemd, PulseAudio, NetworkManager and HAL/DeviceKit-*, i'm a good guy and i know how to cook stable 24/7/365 and highload systems. Currently i'm looking for long-term contract opportunity in system administration(linux+web) or embedded hardware projects. I also offer outstanding Dedicated/Vds/Shared hosting services for e-commerce and ad revenue sites. if you want to know more about me, feel free to see my CV - ktkd [dot] ru
Professional Django Development (4+ years Experience) Python Coding Oracle Database Expert Born in Istanbul. Living in Istanbul, Turkey. I do very detailed analysis and planning before i start projects so if i accept your project then you don't need to worry about your project because I never left half projects I always complete jobs that i started. I am an expert in many fields and my main goal is to provide you with an awesome freelance experience. I require 30% milestone for all projects before I start work no exceptions. With over 30 perfect reviews and %82 completation rate I assure that you have nothing to worry about. If for some reason a project cannot be completed or you've figured out the issue on your own and no longer require my services, you will be 100% refunded. I will always provide you with top notch service and meet deadlines as required..