For this task you must put together a mini proposal on a topic/subject related to the tourism,
hospitality and/or events industries that you would be interested in researching further. A suitable
research topic for your research proposal must meet the following criteria:
• Relevance. The topic chosen must clearly lie within your chosen course of study.
• Specificity. There must be a clearly defined issue, problem or hypothesis proposed.
• Analysis. Your topic area cannot lead to a purely descriptive piece of work. There must be
elements of interpretation, critical awareness and evaluation in your proposed topic.
• Originality. Your project should attempt to build upon existing knowledge in your chosen field.
This may be accomplished in an area where there is little research, or a new insight into an area
where there is already a significant amount of research.
Please note: No one expects you to produce ‘ground-breaking’ research on topics that have never
before been investigated. Rather, we expect you to work from an existing body of knowledge, and
come up with some way to build upon this knowledge.
• Feasibility. Your proposal objectives must be realistic in terms of time and also resources such as
money, contacts and access to organisations. Consider the scale of the project and resist the
temptation to be over-ambitious. The quality of your research is more important than the scale.
Therefore, you may consider a local study, or perhaps regional, rather than national or
international. Likewise, one method of data collection done well is better than two or three
methods undertaken to a mere ‘satisfactory’ standard.