Social networking for academic journal
- Status Closed
- Budget N/A
- Total Bids 16
The Journal of Medical Internet Research ([url removed, login to view]) is a peer-reviewed academic journal which publishes research in the area of health informatics (Internet applications for health and medicine).
We use a customized version of Open Journal Systems (an open source php package) to manage users and manuscripts.
We have about [url removed, login to view] users in our database, with different roles (author, reader, peer-reviewer), and we want to add a social networking layer to the website. Users are connected with each other through relations which can be queried from out database or through other relations that need to be added. Note that there will be different kinds of relations (friend-of, colleague-of, reviewer-of, cited-by etc.).
Concretely the job involves creating (mandatory):
- an expanded "profile" page, displaying info from the OJS db, allowing users to upload a profile image, view and edit connections with other users along different dimensions of connectivity ([url removed, login to view])
- search capacity to look for other users with similar interests
- a block/widget on the homepage showing new users (profile images)
- RSS feeds for new social networking events
In addition (optional depending on the skill set of the contractor):
- possibly an integration with Google maps (to see the location of other users - note that some some geocoding of free-text addresses/affiliation names may be required)
- possibly integration with Facebook, Twitter etc
- semantic export (FOAF), APIs
- discussion boards (e.g. one per published article, or around areas of expertise / interest)
Open Journal Systems (OJS) has a plugin structure and the social networking layer should be cleanly integrated as a plugin. It should be possible to integrate existing CMSs or social networking modules (SocialEngine, google friendconnect. If using a CMS, existing static pages will need to be imported and managed through the CMS.
In your bid (PMB), please specify
- which of the items above you feel confident to solve, and HOW you intend to do this,
- what software you intend to use (Elgg, Wordpress, etc),
- how - if applicable - you will synchronize the data between the OJS database and the social networking application
- what problems - if any - you anticipate, and plans to work around them
BIDS WITHOUT PMB RESPONDING SPECIFICALLY TO THESE QUESTIONS WILL BE DELETED/IGNORED.
We prefer that you use open source packages. We will require full IPR and a non-compete agreement.
Please also see related project [url removed, login to view]Get free quotes for a project like this
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online