VB find a string in a file utility
This project was successfully completed by kovmisa for £77 GBP in 3 days.Get free quotes for a project like this
Project Budget£20 - £250 GBP
Completed In3 days
I would like a simple vb5/vb6/vba/[url removed, login to view] program with source code that I can run against a selectable folder containing lots of email ”.eml” files. This will help me to understand our anti-spam system.
The program will scan all the “.eml” files in the folder and match the content of each files against my lists of key words and phrases. When a match is found the program will create a Rich Text File (or PDF file or similar) report with the same file name but with a different extension such as an “.rtf” file or “.pdf” file.
The report file would contain the contents of the email file (without the need for any email attachments) but would highlight the matched word or phrase in a color that will indicate from which list of words a match was found.
For example: If the word “cheese” came from word list 5, and the word is found in the file “[url removed, login to view]” then a report file “[url removed, login to view]” would be created containing all the content of “[url removed, login to view]” but the word “cheese” would be in red when the report file is viewed.
Finally the program would list all the words from the lists and how many “.eml” files the word was matched against during the process. This could be a “.csv” file. Note: This is not a count of the times the word was matched in any “.eml” file, but the number of “.eml” files that included the word or phrase.
- There will be about 400 words or phrases to read in from about 8 lists of words and phrases. These will be compared to about 1000 email files at a time.
- I want it written in visual basic so I can modify the utility further so I also need some remarks in the code to help me understand the process.
- The utility is for my personal use and will need to work but does not need to be written to a commercial standard with validation etc.
- This is not intended as a new anti-spam program but a just utility to help me understand why the emails we receive are rejected as spam or passed as clean as it is not always obvious and I need to improve the accuracy.
- I am always open to ideas how to improve or simplify the process. Feel free to make suggestions.
Any questions, please ask. I always reply. Thanks, Alex.
Looking to make some money?
- Set your budget and the timeframe
- Outline your proposal
- Get paid for your work
Hire Freelancers who also bid on this project
Looking for work?
Work on projects like this and make money from home!Sign Up Now
- The New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Times Online