Dyslexic photographer wants to create a travel blog for a small City in South America, but has little experience of writing or producing a travel guide and is prown to spelling and grammar mistakes. The focus is on supporting local charities with exposure and financially rather than making money.
An experienced creative travel writer / editor to look at the current work (aka ideas), re-write, amend and give suggestions on changing and/or adding additional content. And any thoughts on whether there are better ways to organise the content or what content is missing also appreciated.
You need the ability to read the existing information on the web and re-word to sound original and exciting.
There is alot of information about the City in question on the big corporate portals, plus some amateur blogs but its spread about, often large paragraphs and not very clear or easy to read. And normally bits of information missing, so there isn't a good source to get everything in one place.
The style should be geared towards a web audience which will list in the search engines well by scoring a good Flesch test score, i.e. short paragraphs, headings, easy to read, bullet points etc ([login to view URL]).
In addition to a traditional travel guide approach, there is a spiritual / shamanic twist, so someone with an interest in spirituality and shamanism would be a bonus.
As briefly mentioned, the portal will also be a place to advertise charity and volunteer opportunities which are greatly in need of support. Any revenues generated beyond the costs will be put forwards supporting said charities, so please keep that in mind when pitching.
There will be additional work later on as more content will be required on-going, but just need the basics so the technical and design work can be completed. Should the concept be successful and generate revenues, then I will regularly hire you to write and edit. I have lots of exciting ideas about getting academics, authors and conservationists to write articles and contribute, which will need to be edited and published professionally. Which leaves me to focus on the marketing and traffic building.
• Read other guides to the City on the web and re-word the city guide main page to sound original, compelling and exciting.
• Proof read, edit and re-word (where appropriate) existing content (i.e. the fixed pages) (around 10 pages, some are just one paragraph, not very long).
• Re-write 6 or so hotel and retreat listings.
• Give advice on lay out and additional content as travel writer / editor
The content looks something like this:
• Explore (main menu) intro on what the site is and index what you can do on the site.
o City guide (requires re-wording and reading some sources which I'll supply)
• History (not complete yet)
• Weather and climate (read a few sources and give a clear explanation in a few paragraphs)
• Useful inof, Money (proof read), Visa (proof read - read Peru tourist board and re-word to sound original), Power adapter (proof read), Traveling to City (proof read and improve), Getting around City (proof read and improve),
• Nearby rainforest / nature reserve (proof read and improve), Kit guide / packing list (proof read)
• Main page about shamanism and sacred plants (proof read)
Even though this looks like a lot of work, I'd hope its only a few hours?
At this stage I need to keep the costs right down as I've already spent a lot of money creating the photography, the website etc but as the project grows, there will be more budgets available for regular work as mentioned.
Feel free to drop me a note to discuss or have a chat on Skype.