WRITING ABOUT MEDIA AND MONSTERS
- You are going to observe and report on a specific monster or group associated with monsters or horror, and you will analyze it in two ways:
* How the media constructs the group
* How the members construct the group
- Then, you will create an argument in which you create a sympathetic yet critical discussion of the group and its role in contemporary society.
- Remember, you are taking a side in this argument, but I am asking you to take a sympathetic side, even if you, personally, do not agree with the group.
- Start with an engaged image that sets the scene for your reader.
- Define the group through a sympathetic lens.
- Offer the objections, disbeliefs, and prejudices of the group.
- Offer the group’s side of the argument.
- Argue for the role the identity plays in contemporary society, or what it responds to.
- Have a definite introduction (with specific thesis statement), body, and conclusion. The thesis statement should define your argument, and your introduction should provide the context of the issue for your reader.
- The introduction will provide that context by discussing an accompanying visual image that you find to relate to your argument.
- Be 1500 words long exclusive of header, title, and works cited page.
be double spaced, documented and formatted in the MLA style, typed using TIMES NEW ROMAN 12 point font with one inch margins all around. Any other font or spacing is unacceptable.
- Utilize at least 3 outside sources, including 1 in support of your group and 1 in opposition (the third is your visual rhetoric). Only one of these sources can be from the web (i.e. a website. Articles from newspapers and magazines found on the internet are allowed), and, of course, Wikipedia is not acceptable.
- Have quotes to support your analysis; however, there is no set number of quotes required. As per the syllabus, any paper not correctly documented in MLA style will receive a grade of F.
- Your essay should not
* Judge or mock the group you are reporting on. Remember, you’re creating a sympathetic portrayal.
be based on a group categorized by ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic class or any other category considered to be reasonably beyond one’s immediate control (if not on a specific monster). Rather, write a paper in which you research an identity that is self-chosen.
- I will evaluate you with the following questions in mind:
* Does the paper follow directions and fulfill the minimum requirements for the assignment? Any paper that does not do so cannot receive a grade higher than 50%.
* Does the depth of knowledge in the paper support the level of writing required for this class?
* Is the argument valid? Does it demonstrate understanding and critical thinking? Is it an original argument with a complex thesis statement and supporting topic sentences?
* Does the student use quotes to support her point? Is his argument supported by the text itself?
* Does the writer carefully and thoughtfully use secondary sources?
* Is the paper careful to maintain a sympathetic tone?
* Is the paper documented in correct MLA format?
* Is the paper well-written with correct grammatical and mechanical structure?
** Extra money if first I receive the first 900 words by 11:20am on 10/3/2012. Need final product by 11:00pm on 10/15 /2012.