The Economy of Debt
Aclu. (2018). A pound of flesh: The Criminalization of Private Debt.
HYPERLINK "[login to view URL]" \t "_blank" [login to view URL]
[login to view URL]
This article is also located under content-required readings.
1. As an economist, discuss the trade- offs of debt? (Pros and cons)
2. How is the court system used to deal with debtors and how does this impact jails and incarceration rates?
3. Weigh the cost of incarceration for debt to society. Discuss in a detailed paragraph or two.
4. State some of the reforms, stated in this paper, you think would be most beneficial for society.
5. What policy or reform might you recommend?
6. As an economist, discuss the market for debt. Should society allow for more debt or less? How should debt best be regulated? (Or should it be regulated?)