It's actually a very simple idea. Basically:
- A program running as a service in a laptop (stealth mode, not to be found or removed by the end user)
- The program checks every X hours trough internet for a code (or any other admin defined period of time) (there must be at least 2 servers to check, the usual and the backup)
- If the code is OK nothing happens
- If the code is NOT OK then triggers an action that may be to encrypt and/or to safely remove files / folders (interested in a method that doesn't take too long, may be a 2 step method -first hide then encrypt or delete-).
NOTE: There may be also a panic code with different actions than the previous (more aggressive).
- If the laptop has been unable to connect to the service in Y hours/days also an action is triggered (may be different from the previous)
- To unhide/decrypt the folders a key is needed and should not be known by the user, only by the admin of the program
- The server where the code resides also gathers basic info for statistical purposes (time, logged user, ip address) and must reside in our offices
- The code readed on the server may require the client to download an update for its settings (ie. change settings and schedules)
- I require 2 installers: the full installer, asking all the details, and the quick installer, almost click and finish (ie. default config may reside on the server and it downloads automatically after installation)
- The encryption key must not be the same for all the machines (in case someone finds it)