GIS Analysis - ArcGIS -URBAN SPATIAL ANALYSIS
First: Provide a plan of action:
A Plan of Action is a bulleted list, graphic depiction, or essay on how you intend to approach the project. This is should be completed before you actually start your analysis
AN URBAN SPATIAL ANALYSIS OF HAMILTON COUNTY, TENNESSEE
The goals of this exercise are to allow students to:
• Practice spatial analysis related to urban environments
• Enhance your understanding of ArcGIS through the study of a metropolitan area
• Apply your skills toward solving a practical problem related to urban geography
• Explain your analysis in the form of a memo that addresses the question selected.
Questions for Hamilton County Dataset Analysis
1. Analyze, discuss and explain the social, economic, and demographic patterns of the population in Hamilton County; include physical and environmental characteristics as well. Pay attention to spatial patterns specifically how they interact between and among of the different data layers.
2. Identify the current commercial growth corridors. Where do you predict the county to grow and why? Base your predictions on available data and information. Explain and elaborate.
3. Conduct an environmental impact assessment of industries in Hamilton County paying particular attention to noise, odors, pollution, etc. Compare the location of industries to demographic statistics such as race, income, education; address any issues that might be present.
4. Determine Chattanooga’s vulnerability to floods incorporating the FEMA flood maps with social, demographic and resource information. Explain your analysis and make sound, logical recommendations for mitigation and planning. Base your recommendations on data and information available by relating back to your data/information.
5. Conduct an urban forestry survey. What are Chattanooga’s recreational opportunities related to ‘green space’? How can they enhance or increase their ‘green space’ and the usage thereof? Explain the importance of green space on the committee based on research, data and information; not just your opinion.
6. Conduct a cultural and natural resources survey for Hamilton County, concentrating on tourist and historical resources. Create a series of maps that describe the resources in an appropriate useful manner for distribution to potential new businesses or tourists. Provide a written explanation of the resources and their benefit to the local and tourist population.
7. Create a land use map of Chattanooga integrating the available data layers and the orthophotos. Select an appropriate land use classification system to support your analysis. Explain how you created the land use map, what decisions you made, and what system you chose for the analysis. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of creating a land use map in the manner you selected.
8. Create a question of your own.
Look at the above issues and questions to address. Study the data set provided relative to the questions. Narrow your selection down to 3 questions then study the data in more detail.
Checksheet for Hamilton County Analysis (32 pts)
Background investigation of topic (Z/6)
Methods and Analysis Process (Z/8)
Explanation of Analysis and Answering the Questions or Addressing the Issue (Z/16)
Overall: ZZ / 32