NOTE: ONLY FOR SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS/FREELANCERS.
TIME WASTERS, DO NOT APPLY.
It is required to carry out mechanical design calculations for the support system of a catalyst packed bed in a vertical vessel. An example of the required calculations is given in the attached “Similar Old Project-Mechanical Design [url removed, login to view]”.
The support system comprises of the following:
A. Annular support ring
B. The support grid
C. The grid support beams
D. The support beam seat (or foot step brackets for support beams)
It is required to carry out the mechanical design calculations for the support system with its associated items A to D. The mechanical design calculation should aim for the verification of the given sizes and the determination of the optimum items parameters such as size, thickness etc, as well as the stress and strength analysis/calculations based on the given loads. The mechanical design calculations should be performed AT LEAST strictly in line with the attached “Similar Old Project-Mechanical Design [url removed, login to view]”. A 2D/3D CFD analysis of the stress and strength analysis should also be performed.
1. Imperatively, please use the methods given in the book “Pressure Vessel Design Manual” by Dennis R. Moss for your calculations of the support rings, support beams and the beam seats.
2. Imperatively, please use same calculations methods, calculations structure, calculations layout, calculations format and even calculations formulas (equations) as those given in the attached “Similar Old Project-Mechanical Design [url removed, login to view]”.
3. The attached “Similar Old Project-Mechanical Design [url removed, login to view]” reflects the mechanical design calculation of the support system from a previous project. The previous project and the current project are 99% identical, except that in the previous project, the vessel internal diameter is 2400mm, while in the current project, the vessel internal diameter is 2300mm. All other things remain same, hence the calculation methods used in the similar old project should be highly followed in this new project.
1. Manual mechanical design calculations strictly as per the attached “Similar Old Project-Mechanical Design [url removed, login to view]” (as a minimum; other mechanical design parameters can be added where possible).
2. 2D/3D CFD of the strength and stress analysis of the support system items.
1. The vessel shell id is 2300mm (steel to steel) but the vessel will be lined with 100mm thick Refractory Lining and the attachments to the shell shall be designed accordingly, so the inside diameter is 2100mm.
2. Pressure drop across the catalyst bed is 1.05 and 0.1 bar min. max respectively.
3. Fluid state in the vessel is gas.
4. Material of construction of the items of the support system is stainless steel 316L.
5. Support system shall be designed for the dead weight of the loads above the support system. The total dead weight above the support system is 29579 kg, total volume above the support system is 40.2 m3 and total height of weight above the support system is 11600mm.
1. Scope of work
2. Autocad drawing “Column [url removed, login to view]”
3. Autocad drawing “Grid [url removed, login to view]”
4. Autocad drawing “Beam [url removed, login to view]”
5. “Similar Old Project-Mechanical Design [url removed, login to view]”
I wish to thank you all for those bidding for this project so far.
In particular, I wish to thank the freelancer Raghavanps for his concerns and corrections. Raghavanps wrote
"...Am just having one doubt here - where CFD fits in? was that just FEA that was meant or is their fluid flow that is important with design also?..."
"...there is a case of pressure vessel treatment, but could not see CFD involved as there is no fluid flow that needs any study here...."
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. DEAR ALL, PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS EFFECTIVELY NO CFD REQUIRED AS THERE IS NO FLUID FLOW INVOLVED. BY CFD IN THE SCOPE, I MEANT THE STRESS AND STRENGTH ANALYSIS USING FEA TECHNIQUES.
Please take note all.
Once again, many thanks to Raghavanps for the correction.