Using computation chemistry for drug discovery
Key roles and responsibilities
Support and drive small molecule drug discovery projects from hit-finding, through lead generation and lead optimisation to candidate selection. Through scientific leadership and collaboration with colleagues, provide clear data analyses, actionable hypotheses and ideas to steer overall project and, in particular, medicinal and synthetic chemistry project contributions.
Present plans, tactics and achievements to external partners and to internal stakeholders including project and senior management.
Provide flexible support to the scientific and operational needs of the department; be willing to develop new skills and assume responsibility for new capabilities.
- A Ph.D. degree in the area of computational chemistry, or equivalent industrial experience
- Multi-year experience in world class small molecule drug discovery organisation(s)
- Expertise in structure- and ligand-based drug discovery
- Understanding of physicochemical properties and DMPK and their importance in small molecule drug design
- Knowledge of cheminformatics methods and databases
- Experience of common scripting languages or pipelining tools
- A record of combining the above to make meaningful contributions to drug discovery projects
- Excellent decision making and influencing skills
- Excellent communication, collaboration and team-working skills