‘Standard forms of building contract have often been criticised by the courts for being unnecessary obscure and verbose. But in fairness one should add that is sometimes the courts themselves who have added to the difficulty by treating building contracts as if they were subject to special rules of their own’.- Lord Lloyd of Berwick
To what extent are standard forms of construction contract special type of contracts?
Submissions must be A4, double- spaced with an appropriate cover sheet. submissions should not exceed 1800 words. Work should be fully referenced in accordance with Harvard system. Work must not be plagiarised.
You are required to download a standard contract of your own choice, study its structure, contents and processes involved in contract formation. Use the contract as guide in answering the question below. This task is testing your overall understanding of nature and characteristics of construction contracts and the process of their formation
- clear introduction of the issue and identification of limitations of work
- clear statement of the aims and objectives of the work
- evidence of background reading and development of a balanced perspective in relation to the knowledge base of the subject
Analysis and synthesis of the task
- discussion of the relevant issues relating to the topic, showing depth of research and understanding
- significance of results and balanced arguments/ discussion
- Development and expression of own ideas and views.
Conclusion and recommendations
- summarising the main points raised and discussion on how these can be developed and improved upon
Structure and presentation
- the content of the paper should be clear an well structured in logical sequence
- paper should follow the prescribed academic format including referencing