Who we are:
We maintain and develop IT systems and products for several startups and SMEs. We help startups with their bootstrapping process and are looking for experienced IT associates to aide us in a range of IT-related operations.
Set up an instance of ArangoDB 3.2.2 for Google Cloud using Kubernetes. Must be completed within 3 days of starting the job. The database must:
- use RocksDB as the storage engine.
- work with Google Cloud 'Container Engine'.
- be a singleton; not a cluster.
- be ready for production: relevant security and surrounding cloud infrastructure.
- persist data to a cloud disk that is not destroyed if the container is restarted
- write comments so that I know how you are thinking and to explain complicated parts.
- attribute authors and sources in case you modify someone else's work.
- assess your own work in a short (half A4 page or less) description. Include noteworthy pros and cons of your implementation and other info I should be aware of.
- use GIT and make at least 3 commits with appropriate comments.
- you should not be doing everything 'from scratch', I expect you to find and use someone else's work and extend or modify as necessary.
- if you feel $50 is not enough to do the task, work until you have done $50 worth of work and stop, report the work done and how much is estimated left to do relative to how much is already done.
- add the words: i am a reader, in the title of your application to show you read this carefully.
- you will be competing against other candidates who have also received this same sample work request
- good written an spoken english is a must.
- to receive a .zip file with a file/folder structure and GIT repository. I can use 'kubectl' (or a custom script that uses kubectl) in my terminal to deploy the database to a Google Container Engine cluster instance running latest versions of Container-Optimized OS (cos) and Kubernetes.
- the zip file to have instructions for deployment if it is not self-evident or strays from basic kubernetes usage.
- the instance to be secure and accessible and I am able to log in and use the database remotely.
- to see a text-based (yaml, word, txt, whatever) document with your assessment included in this zip archive.
This is a sample job to find skilled cloud/database engineers and there will be more work in the future for the candidates who succeed in this sample task.
Please ask questions and raise concerns so we can resolve any issues before you accept work; your 3 day deadline starts the day you accept and reply with the tags section.